Forum

Mice with MS

Hi everyone! After reading about the mice with MS in The Daily Mail, I wondered: how do mice get MS?! If, as has been suggested, the scientists give the mice MS, then wouldn’t the ability to do so mean that the scientists already know what causes it?! And on another note, how would they test the mice for signs of MS - an MRI scan maybe - or even a lumbar puncture?! How long would it take for a mouse to get MS? Seems beyond bizarre to me, I’m totally confused here! I’d so love to know the answers to this!

i had the same thoughts as you it seems. there is something a miss here xx

Yes, considering what we have to go through to get a diagnosis, and that part of that diagnosis is formed from us telling the doctors about the “invisible” symptoms, I’m a bit suspicious of any animal actually having an MS diagnosis, unless Dr Dolittle is involved, it’s unlikely that the mice have been describing the bizarre symptoms that are so common. For 16 years no doctor took my concerns seriously - then I had ON, which they could see and that triggered the tests I had been asking for, perhaps if I was a mouse, I might have got a diagnosis sooner?

my grandpa is a cow farmer and iv seen cows with MS. It tends to be easyer to dx animals over humans because there are nasty painful test that a human would not sit through with out anisthetic where as animals have no say. I meen realy what or who did you think they test all our DMD’s on before they give them to people?

I believe they inject the mice with myelin, to trigger a condition closely resembling MS, for the purposes of study, but which isn’t technically MS. It’s called experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis, and doesn’t occur in nature. Obviously, it can’t be the cause in humans, because nobody has got “accidentally” injected with myelin.

I honestly think the scientists have got this one wrong and they need to experiment with a larger animal. In my opinion cats would be ideal for this purpose and the pests can be collected in vast herds from almost any street. Lets face it their numbers have long reached epidemic proportions and a cull is much needed. Our precious wildlife would benefit and who knows even the songbird population might recover.

Sparkledust wrote:

Hi everyone! After reading about the mice with MS in The Daily Mail, I wondered: how do mice get MS?! If, as has been suggested, the scientists give the mice MS, then wouldn’t the ability to do so mean that the scientists already know what causes it?! And on another note, how would they test the mice for signs of MS - an MRI scan maybe - or even a lumbar puncture?! How long would it take for a mouse to get MS? Seems beyond bizarre to me, I’m totally confused here! I’d so love to know the answers to this!

LMAO at the thought of doing an MRI and an LP on a mouse. Brilliant :smiley: As Tina says, it’s experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis - the closest they can manufacture to MS. The quickest and most accurate way to diagnose MS (and to see the results of any treatment) is to do an autopsy btw. Makes an LP sound not so bad after all :slight_smile: Karen x

jms wrote:

my grandpa is a cow farmer and iv seen cows with MS. It tends to be easyer to dx animals over humans because there are nasty painful test that a human would not sit through with out anisthetic where as animals have no say. I meen realy what or who did you think they test all our DMD’s on before they give them to people?

Guinea pigs?

whammel wrote:

I honestly think the scientists have got this one wrong and they need to experiment with a larger animal. In my opinion cats would be ideal for this purpose and the pests can be collected in vast herds from almost any street. Lets face it their numbers have long reached epidemic proportions and a cull is much needed. Our precious wildlife would benefit and who knows even the songbird population might recover.

i personaly think humans would be better to experiment on. humans are the pests… the bad 1s anyway an leave the poor cats alone, its man whos recking the wildlife by building everywhere.

Turtles Head wrote:

jms wrote:

Guinea pigs?

Ha ha ha - too funny!!

I have always asked myself that very same question. I often thought that MS stands for Multiple Squeaks, and in someway it does. Then I thought someone must have given me this MS thing ? Who ? And why ? If a scientist gave it to me I would like to say something to them, and also ask them if I can give it back now. Mr Mouse

anonymouse wrote:

I have always asked myself that very same question. I often thought that MS stands for Multiple Squeaks, and in someway it does. Then I thought someone must have given me this MS thing ? Who ? And why ? If a scientist gave it to me I would like to say something to them, and also ask them if I can give it back now. Mr Mouse

:smiley: xx