Meds question....any knowledge please?

Hi there - I’m currently on 600mg Gabapentin 3 times a day and 50mg Zydol (Tamadol) 4 times a day. I was previously prescribed Ampitripiline (or whatever it’s called!) which I stopped taking because I presumed I had to - reading some of these posts I see many of you take this too. Should I be carrying on taking the ampiwotsit? The doctor didn’t actually say and it’'s not easy to phone and get through to ask.

Thanks for any knowledge you have

Dxx

Amitriptyline and gabapentin do much the same thing for neuropathic pain, but I know some people take both when one is not enough. The max dose of gabapentin is 3600mg a day so you’ve got some room for manoeuvre. If I were you, I would try and keep to as few meds as possible so maybe up your gabapentin and if the max dose isn’t enough, then add the amitriptyline. Saying that, amitriptyline is a wonderful sleeping pill so if sleep is an issue, you might want to take both.

And of course, what the heck do I know?! Best to speak to your GP :slight_smile:

Karen x

Hi Karen - yes I agree about keeping to as few meds as possible. I’ve only recently found sleeping to be a problem, mostly due to the pings through my head and burning pain in my back which leads to tension then a myoclonic jerk! RE: ‘what the heck do I know’ you know masses and I appreciate your input enormously.

I may up the night gabapentin rather than take ampy and see if that helps. The zydol is fab for the buzzing and burning - or maybe it’s the combination that works.

Dxx

Hi Deb,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I take Gapapentin in the day and Ametriptyline in the evening.

I take ‘A’ around 8pm, otherwise you can still feel ‘hungover’ in the morning. It really has made a massive difference to me. My pain and probably worries too, woke me constantly, I was exhausted. It has a sedative in it, so now, if I do wake, its just a stir and I drop back off quickly.

Hope this helps.

Clare