LUPUS / MS ?

I found mrbobowen’s article on diagnosing MS a very interesting read, especially since I am in limbo. I thought the connection with Lupus interesting and am going to requests the blood tests for this. Since reading the article I have typed in to google “Lupus and Spinal atrophy” and got lots of hits! Apparently it can cause partial transverse mylitis which gives the brown-sequard pattern (numbness one side weakness the other). This is what I was hit with 4 years ago and although am pretty well now I have been left with spasticity in right leg (ie the one that went weak). Also Lupus is in my family, my fathers 2 sisters had it and 2 of my female cousins. I also read that in a small percentage of people the start of Lupus appears as neurological without the rashes etc. At the moment one neuro has diagnosed possible MS and the other radiation myleopathy! If i did have MS it would probably be PPMS as I have no brain lesions and only one spinal, a clear LP and only one side effected!

Worth a try - just a few blood tests.

Moyna x

One of the first things I had done was a blood test for all those types of illnesses - lupus, lyme disease, syphillis and other things I can’t remember. All came back negative and then they started looking at MRIs for MS.

As you said, it’s only a blood test but make sure they test you for similar things aswell just to rule them out.

I too was tested for lupus as part of elimination. I did have a rash on arms and legs and was tested for hiv although i have been with my other half for 12 years. Im sure you would have been tested as part of the process. It was my mri that confirmed ms as all else was negative

Lupus is definitely worth ruling out.

Not sure about the PPMS conclusion - the main criterion for PPMS is that the patient has progressive symptoms, i.e. they get gradually worse. From what I remember, you have recovered from some symptoms and are otherwise stable? This would probably rule out PPMS.

Karen x

Hi Moyna

My symptoms have all been left sided too and started about a year and a half ago. I’ve had full bloods including for lupus which was negative in my case. MRI’s have shown non-specific sub-cortical lesions. My neuro is thinking possible MS but I’d presume RR as I have got better between epsiodes. I’ve had 2 episodes in total but they wouldn’t give DMD’s with my MRI and having had predominantly sensory symptoms (though my bladder and bowel were affected but to a ‘mild’ degree). Anyway so it’s a waiting game for me to see if anything new happens. I’ve not had LP’s or VEP’s as even with them they wouldn’t put me on any meds and it would only be a probable MS diagnosis.

Sounds like Lupus could be a possibility for you - certianly worth finding out if it’s been checked for.

Good luck

Reemz

X

Thanks everyone. The only blood test they have given me was for B12. GP surgery has confirmed that.

Karen I have had one sort of attack and all symptoms went away except for spasticity in 2 muscles in leg which is getting worse over time. Althougth I think spasticity can get worse on its own as once started it can follow a course. So in some ways I am better and in others worse. Hense the confusing case.

Thanks

Moyna

Hello Moyna,

Just to add to the confusion, I have Lupus (SLE) and I also have SPMS, so it is possible to have both. So don’t rule anything out until all the tests have been completed. My rheumy confirmed I had Lupus and neuro confirmed I had ms. Hope this helps and does not confuse you anymore. Do please keep us updated and good luck.

Janet

x

Hello Moyna,

Just to add to the confusion, I have Lupus (SLE) and I also have SPMS, so it is possible to have both. So don’t rule anything out until all the tests have been completed. My rheumy confirmed I had Lupus and neuro confirmed I had ms. Hope this helps and does not confuse you anymore. Do please keep us updated and good luck.

Janet

x