Looking to get professional care

Hi all,

I hope everyone is managing with this heat.

My family member with MS who lives independently in his flat recently keeps falling more frequently, multiple times a day. He generally struggles to take one step with his rollator. So using his rollator around the flat is zapping his energy. His flat isn’t big enough for him to use his electric wheel chair around. He remains on the floor after a fall because he doesn’t have the energy to turn over to go on all fours. He’s quite heavy so it’s hard for us to help him up.

• Has anybody used an equipment to assist a person off the ground?

We feel that it is no longer safe for him to be left independently. We have contacted social services for a referral. We will be considering getting professional help in his flat or an assisted living facility.

• Do you know anyone with MS who lives in an assisted living facility under the age of 65?

If you have had any similar experience or if you have any advice, we would be grateful for your insight.

Thank you for reading. Best wishes.

Hi, this is a huge problem and will only get worse.

I am a full time wheelchair user and have been for around 20 years. I have had to have my house adapted…some was done with the help of the council and a lot has been done by ourselves.

It has cost us a lot of money as we couldnt always get help. The adaptations include changing a bedroom to a wet room, door widening, outside access ramps, new floorings. I have also bought various beds, wheelchairs and a scooter. Plus i have had to buy adapted vehicles.

I hope things soon change for the better for your family member.

Boudsx

We had OTs coming in 3 or 4 times over the years, who have advised us what to do.

It does sound as if it would be best for your family member to move to a more suitable property. I also think he would benefit from a care assessment from Social Services.

There are inflatable cushions which assist some one to get up from a fall. An O/T would tell you about these.

1 Like

Hi, how are things going with your family member?

Boudsx

Hi all

My name is Jane. I do not have MS but over the past few years I have met and become friendly with a lady who has MS and lives independently in her home. I feel she is very lonely and I would like to be able to take her out at least every two weeks to meet with other people who could be of help to her.

Kind regards Jane

Hi all

My name is Jane. I’m friendly with a lady who live independently with MS. I feel she is quite lonely and would like to be able to take her out occassionlly to meet up with other people who understand. Of course i understands that it is difficult at present.

Thank You Jane

Hi Jane, have you got any trips out planned, with your friend who has MS? Is she still mobile or will she need a wheelchair for outings?

Boudsx