Looking for clarity

Hi, hoping one of you can hell me understand my medical notes properly. There are a few things I want to know. 1) my neuro wrote on one letter “there was dubious an equivocal plantar response on the left, with a down going on the right” Why is this dubious? What does it mean in lay mans terms? 2) I have a lesion “close to the right occipital horn” and a lesion “in the left middle cerebellar peduncle” What are these areas of the brain responsible for? Do lesions directly correspond to symptoms? Just need answers to these niggles then I hope I can get on with things, (hopefully) thanks.

The first one means that, when the neuro scraped the soles of your feet, the right foot responded normally, but the left foot may not have - it was difficult to tell.

“close to the right occipital horn” is referring to a lesion next to your right lateral ventricle, one of the reservoirs of cerebrospinal fluid in the brain. The lesion is at the end of the ventricle closest to the occipital lobe, at the back of your head - hence the name. What symptoms this would cause depends on exactly where it is.

The “middle cerebellar peduncle” is part of the brain that connects the pons (in the brain stem) and the cerebellum. A lesion there usually causes a lack of coordination in the opposite side of the body - so if your lesion is on the right, your left side will not be working as smoothly as it normally does.

If you read my sticky post (the intro to brain & MRI), this may make more sense!

Hth.

Karen x

Thank you Karen, really did help a lot :slight_smile: