lesions

what are lesions,i have white spots on my mri results,are these lesions,or whats the difference between white spots and a lesion…

sorry for posting anon,i post too many questions for you lovely people and dont want you all getting sick of my questions

Hey don’t be silly, no one would mind if you posted loads! To be honest, I don’t know. Mine said I had white matter signal changes, so I don’t know if they were spots as I haven’t seen the images myself. Hopefully, as I’m not as clued up on these things, someone else will reply to you soon xx

my understanding is that a lesion is a scar, which is left after the immune system attacks somehwere in the brain or spinal cord. lesions show as white spots. but you must not assume that white spots are all ms lesions, lesions can be caused by other things such as migraines. have you got an appoitnment with your neuro to discuss the results?

Leah :slight_smile:

My best advice for anyone trying to learn about MS, it’s symptoms, definitions, treatments, etc., is to arm yourself with knowledge. Look up Multiple Sclerosis on the Internet (google it). Stay away from home remedies… they do not work. Diagnosis takes a while because there is no single test that shows you have it, so they have to “rule out” everything else. This is a frustrating and very scary time, but it will get better. Once you get a diagnosis, MS or not, you will have ruled out so much and be on your way to good treatment. Remember, there is no cure for MS at this time, but the treatments are getting better and better. Being proactive on understanding the condition and all the treatments offered allows you to make your best choices. Read, read, read! Good luck to you, Janel

My best advice for anyone trying to learn about MS, it’s symptoms, definitions, treatments, etc., is to arm yourself with knowledge. Look up Multiple Sclerosis on the Internet (google it). Stay away from home remedies… they do not work. Diagnosis takes a while because there is no single test that shows you have it, so they have to “rule out” everything else. This is a frustrating and very scary time, but it will get better. Once you get a diagnosis, MS or not, you will have ruled out so much and be on your way to good treatment. Remember, there is no cure for MS at this time, but the treatments are getting better and better. Being proactive on understanding the condition and all the treatments offered allows you to make your best choices. Read, read, read! Good luck to you, Janel

Hello anon

I don’t mind either if you post lot’s of questions…knock yourself out I say…not literally of course

It depends if you have a diagnosis. I had white matter lesions on my scan results but I’ve been diagnosed with MS.

Difference between spots and lesions?..pass, on that one

Noreen xx

My advice is to keep way from google if you have not got a diagnosis. You will only confuse yourself more and may even worry yourself unduly. You really need to discuss the results with your neurologist, like Leah suggests.

xx

I agree with Blossom - stay away from google! Lesions are white spots on an MRI but can be caused by loads of things including problems with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and migraines as well as in some cases just normal ageing or old injuries. Better to wait until a neurologist has had a chance to talk through what they mean with you instead of worrying yourself more by trying to find the answers on google etc (I know - been there, freaked myself out and now patiently awaiting neurologist to tell me what it all means). As far as I know MS diagnosis depends partly on the number, size and location of the lesions. Neurologists train for a long time to be able to interpret these things and hopefully you will get some answers soon. In the meantime, try not to worry too much (being rather hypocritical there) and good luck x