IV steroid replacement

Hi Everyone. Just wondering if anyone else has been prescribed methylprednisolone 500mg a day for 5 days instead of iv steroids.

I believe it has only recently been licenced in this dose for ms according to my neurologist. Hubby had to go to four chemists before

he was able to get it. Just taken 300mg today and I will take another 200mg at bedtime. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mary

I’ve taken it. It stopped my relapse and was much more convenient than having to get to the hospital for the IV version. I still got the jitters, the steroid flush and the long hours awake in the night that I had with IV steroids. But that’s just high dose steroid territory I guess. I didn’t get anything with oral steroids that didn’t come with IV steroids.

Just remembered - I was told to take them all at once and with breakfast. I thought I was told I was better to have them early in the day. Might have misremembered.

Thanks Sewingchick. It’s kind of what I expected. Glad it stopped your relapse. Home I get the same. Guess I need to get plenty of

night reading books lol.

Mary

I reread ‘The Secret History’ by Donna Tartt the first time I was on IV steroids and ‘Gone with the Wind’ the second time. I think I was reading one of the Game of Thrones books (author George R. R. Martin) when I took the oral steroids in the summer. I would recommend any of these for ‘on steroids’ reading. All long and brilliant. I loved ‘The Time Traveller’s Wife’ (author Audrey Niffeneger) which fits in this category as well.