iTouch info and advice please

A previous post mentioned this and I am considering buying one. Befeore I do I wanted to ask the brainstrust what they’ve heard about its suitability for use by MSers? I ask this as my OH has a TENS machine and it states the PWMS must NOT use it. Confused :roll: as iTouch is TENS Clarexxx

Hi Clare, I googled this and just got ipod :roll: I’ll watch out for more news. Hope you’ve had a good day. Yvonne

What exactly is a TENS machine? I think it is a thing that stimulates your nerves to help relieve pain. An iTouch is an mp3 player made by apple isn’t it? Unless I’m wrong, they are nothing like each other.

Is this the product you sre talking about :?: TensCare itouch Sure Pelvic Floor Exerciser by Tenscare Product Description Be free to live an active life. One in four women experiences a degree of incontinence after giving birth, and anyone can suffer from the condition at any time of their lives. Despite this prevalence, it can be debilitating, embarrassing, unpleasant and seldom discussed, and very few sufferers seek any sort of treatment or help. However, this common condition can be easily treated. Physiotherapists and doctors recommend pelvic floor exercises to help improve levels of continence, but often these are not enough on their own, and it is very difficult to know exactly which muscles need to be exercised–in some cases the muscles may be so weak that they are unable to perform simple movements in the first place. Some women are unable to voluntarily exercise the pelvic floor muscle themselves and require assistance. This is when the itouch sure is required, playing a vital role in locating and exercising the muscle for you. The itouch Sure is the ideal way to build up strength in the pelvic floor, and results can be seen in as little as a few weeks. The itouch Sure unit uses gentle electrotherapy to stimulate the pelvic floor muscles into regaining their strength and flexibility. Using a vaginal probe, it delivers electrical impulses which target the correct location. The pulses are not painful, but produce a mild tingling sensation. Best of all, itouch Sure does not have any side-effects, requires no drugs, and can reduce or even eliminate the need for surgery. In particularly severe cases, electrotherapy may be the only way to initiate the recovery of your pelvic floor. itouch Sure is suitable for women suffering from any of the three types of incontinence: stress, urge and mixed. Using itouch Sure will not only improve continence levels, therefore raising your confidence and general comfort, but will also help to enhance your sexual health. A strong pelvic floor will allow you to do all of the activities unhindered and without worry which, in the past, you may have taken for granted; jumping, laughing, carrying children, sneezing, running, sex, and countless more. The itouch Sure should be used for 20 minutes each day, ideally during any seated activity, for a two-month period. After this time, considerable improvement should be apparent, although many women choose to continue using the machine after this time. Designed with ease-of-use in mind the device features 4 clinically proven programmes to exercise the muscle according to the type of bladder weakness you experience; stress, urge, mixed or tone. The kit comes with full instructions as well as a helpline for further information (call 01372 723 434). The unit is guaranteed for two years (this does not cover consumables such as batteries and electrodes). Getting your life back on track is easy, simple, discreet and pain-free. Why wait any longer? Important: Hold button for a few seconds to switch on. Be aware the unit switches off when not in use. Safety Warning Do NOT use the “itouch Sure” under the following circumstances: If you have a heart pacemaker or a heart rhythm problem If you are pregnant If any discomfort occurs when inserting the probe, consult your physician or Continence Advisor before use If you have been diagnosed or treated for cervical cancer If you have, or have had, epilepsy If you are using a copper coil Link http://tinyurl.com/5sux3lw

Ah! That makes more sense! I have epilepsy, so that would count me out anyway. But I’ve also had a VEP (Visual Evoked Potentials) and some similar tests on the nerves in my arms. The VEP was to help diagnose my MS, so that would be fun if it made my MS worse! Sounds like the manufacturers are covering themselves just in case.

How did Touch and pod get mixed up? It wasn’t me honest :geek: but thanks for full explanation. Yvonne

Hi, it was me who posted about this originally. I have used a TENS machine for nerve pain (which worked well) and also use the Circulation Booster V3 which also is the same as a TENs machine (you can connect leads to use it as a TENs machine, and have had no problems from using them, and I have looked at the instuctions of them all and can’t see anything about not using them with MS. It’s not stopping me using them! Lynne x

lph48 wrote:

Hi, it was me who posted about this originally. I have used a TENS machine for nerve pain (which worked well) and also use the Circulation Booster V3 which also is the same as a TENs machine (you can connect leads to use it as a TENs machine, and have had no problems from using them, and I have looked at the instuctions of them all and can’t see anything about not using them with MS. It’s not stopping me using them! Lynne x

Thanks Lynn, i don’t understand why my OH’s Tens has the not suitable for pwMS on it, except that his has 2/4 connectors to the body but this one looks as it it has only one :? . Having looked a bit more into the itouch I am leaning towards getting one - I have an appt with my continence nurse next month - I ought to get her 10pence worth but it does seem like a brill idea. Clare

Speak to your physio, as they are the ones who normally deal with any type of pelic floor exercises or stimulus. There was a study a few years ago ( I think the MS Society provided some of the funding) into biofeedback and electrical stimulation to help combat the problem of incontinence in people with MS. [ Biofeedback gives the person the ability to actually see how well they can contract their muscles to gain control of their incontinence.] I believe the results were fairly good, but I can’t find the actual results anywhere :? This research was carried out by a physio

Thank you Verona. I’ll be seeing the physio before the continence nurse so I’ll pick her brains! Clare