Introducing myself and my journey with MS

Hello everyone I’ll use my nickname I was given at work “Mayo” lol and yes it’s because I would indulge in alot of it while eating my lunch. I am 53 years old I was diagnosed in 2015 my MS was not hereditary it was more of the lifestyle I lived that caused the disease to take over my body after coming off active duty in the Air Force reserves I started working in a chemical plant and that was the start of where my life has led me today. I joined the forum to receive knowledge but also to give it if my life experiences can be helpful.The type of Ms me and my wife have had to battle was very unforgiving and violent and if not for my wife I wouldn’t be here today able to share my story with those that may be interested I had treatment 3 years ago and it has stopped

my Ms progression and I don’t have to take any medication to treat it specifically only a couple to treat damage that was done before my treatment.

2 Likes

I am sorry that MS has found you. I was dx at 38, a decade younger than you were. There’s a case to be made for getting it later (like you and me) rather than sooner in life - at least a person has a chance to establish him/herself in the world as an adult, build family relationships, career etc, before it all starts getting difficult. But there’s really no good time, is there? I am glad that you have loving support around you.

I think it is fair to say that most people with MS (you and me included) don’t have it in the family. For sure, it can run in families, and that raises an individual’s risk a bit, but for most of us it came out of the blue. There’s good information on the main part of this MS Society site about what are believed to be the risk factors. I have a hunch about what sparked off my MS, and it sounds as though you have a hunch about yours. But I think the general view is that quite a cascade of things has to go wrong and a lot of bad luck and terrible timing is needed to light the fuse.

Love the nickname, by the way.

Hi a fellow club member who is most interested in your own treatment. I think my MS nurse has written me off although she says I know how to contact for advice and supportb​:thinking::crazy_face: