interestingly not a relapse but Vitamin D deficiency - thoughts?

Hi Amanda

The important thing about Vit. D3 is to make sure that you get enough to bring you up to a safe “recommended” level, and then not to overdo it.

Earlier this year, Karen (rizzo) managed to overdose on Vit.D3, and posted a warning here. I cannot remember what she used a a title for her post, but someone else may. You will need to get your GP on board for regular blood tests (or your MS Nurse) unless you want to pay for them.

Both my GP and Nurse were in favour when I started (fatigue was the spur), and I started fairly low at a single 2500iu capsule a day. If that is making a difference, it has taken over 3 months to start having an effect. Equally, I could be on too low a dose. There are some other issues I need to talk to Neuro and Nurse about (in just a few weeks) and I don’t want to fiddle with too many things at once.

One thing is for sure, not enough D3 is not good for you.

Geoff

I made a note of Karen’s post, “Vitamin D - a word of warning” on the “New diagnosis and before diagnosis” forum:

www.mssociety.org.uk/forum/new-diagnosis-and-diagnosis/vitamin-d-word-warning

I’d been taking 5000 iu since October and when my level was checked before summer it was 167 nmol/l so in the “recommended” range.

Jon.

Hi,

You ought to be on 5000 IU. I’m no doctor but Professor Giovannoni bangs on about vit D. He says everyone should take 5000 IU per day. Prof G is quite an important guy in the MS world. Read his blog and look up vitamin D

Here is the url http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blogspot.co.uk/ OK some of the articles are very dry and academic but there is plenty there to engage you and I.