Interesting research on exercise & fatigue

Hi

Someone just sent me this link about some research that’s been done on the effects of exercise on fatigue and general well-being. I for one definitely feel better for getting exercise - both physio exercises and other more intensive things. CBT was also included in the study and I’d agree that that can be a useful tool as well. What do others think?

Dan

Hi Dan

I would agree with you on the benefits of exercising - my physio has given me exercises to imporve my stamina and raise my heart rate which definitely has a positive effect on my fatigue levels. I have had no formal experience of CBT so I can’t comment on that but from this I think it is worth looking in to. I think there must be various studies regarding exercise and ms as my sister was asked to take part in one in Sheffield but she didn’t meet the criteria - she was already going to the gym weekly and they wanted people who were non exercisers so they could measure their improvement. This report seems to provide good evidence for doing it - if I can just get up off the settee !

regards Helen

hiya dan…

i think…theres alot to be said for self help but i mean in the sense that physio (or whoever) can recommend/suggest exercises but its up to u to do them! i think that too many people do once and claim its not beneficial. often and shorter time is best.

as some know, following a huge, life changing relapse my life has been turned upside down BUT i still exercise as i can-that means getting kids to move my limbs so they are still moving. i am aware that may change as i further deteriorate but i believe that u should never give up as long as u r able manage some movement in whichever way u can do it can only be helpful- trying to remind the pathways to go the right route.

ellie

If you follow this link, you will find that the research was funded by the MS Society and is reported on in the News and Research section of this website:

Heartening :slight_smile:

B x

If you follow this link, you will find that the research was funded by the MS Society and is reported on in the News and Research section of this website:

Heartening :slight_smile:

B x

Hi Dan

Logged onto the forum this evening and saw the interesting news about exercise, MS and fatigue. My initial reaction was,

“What did I tell you?”

Running and endurance were my life, (thankfully, still are!). I cannot and will not imagine my life without it. Since my diagnosis in June 2013, following a fairly significant relapse that affected my left side for almost 3 months, I have crawled my way back up to the surface and am now, pretty much, back to my ‘Before MS’ self in terms of my athletic ability. My buddies at my Running Club cannot believe that I have MS until they happen to catch me after a hard training session and I am looking slightly awkward and spastic- “Ignore me”, I say, " I’m just having a 'moment". Thankfully, we can still laugh about it !

I count myself incredibly lucky and fortunate. We all know of individuals who have had similar sporty lives, but have succumbed to the devastating affects of Multiple Sclerosis ;unable to continue with their sport.

Since my diagnosis, I have often wondered how well I would have fared, had I led a completely sedentary life.

What I do know is that I do feel completely re-energised after my training runs. Often, recently, I have felt particularly fatigued and could easily curl up in a ball and fall asleep. But, I always force myself out of the door and head off on my run. Thankfully, I always come back feeling all the better for it. I know for sure that plenty of Endorphins are swishing about in my blood helping my body deal with this dreadful illness. Long may that continue!

Good luck all

Tracyann xx

I’m slowly starting to exercise again after my initial episode and two relapses, as exercise has always been part of my life and I feel better for it. Something weird though is, although I am definitely strong and coordinated enough at the moment, I can’t ‘bounce’ anymore, eg to jog, hop or do aerobic warm ups. I have to do everything from flat on the floor if that makes sense. I find stretching beneficial as I am so stiff and I am starting an MS swim club tomorrow. Fatigue is now one of my worst remaining symptoms.

I firmly believe that exercise improves mobility and the best results are achieved working with a physio. It doesn’t matter about how much you can do, as anything is better than nothing.

Oh, and it’s good for general health too, so always worth the effort.

Pre MS - l was a very fit person. l competed in Endurance Riding - Long Distance Cross-Country - the actual competitions were the icing on the cake - the hard work - was getting myself and horse fit. And l had a full-time job - and my dogs to walk as well.

31yrs down the line - lts not my SPMS that prevents me from walking - but osteo-arthritis - abnormal wear and tear of what was my good leg. l have had a new hip - and next month it will be a replacement knee. Hopefully, after months of physio/exercise l will improve my lot - and get back to walking without holding onto my rollator. And more importantly, back to riding my horses.

Even though l can not walk now - l do use exercise machines to keep what is working - still working!! An eliptical trainer/healthrider/powerplate machine - plus LDN - the brilliant endorphin machine.

l rarely sit down - and when l do - l keep moving the legs by pushing back and forth a skateboard - and l have a rotating platform. lf you dont use it - you will lose it.

Yoga/Pilates/Tai Chi are all good for keeping supple and balanced. But you also need cardio exercise.

Lovely to hear that you all have kept yourselves ‘going’. lt does give you a feel good factor and beats the fatigue.