INR levels and MS....bit of a long shot!

I had a spontaneous pulmonary embolism at the beginning of July. Been taking warfarin ever since, having twice weekly blood tests. Cut a long story short I’m wondering if the MS or ms meds are having an effect on the INR results. Jumping from 1.2 to 3.7 then back to 1.8, trying to get to 2.5 and stay there - It’s driving me crazy! Doing all the things I should be, it’s been over a month now and I’m getting nowhere fast.

So like I said in the title, probably a long shot, but has anyone else who’s on warfarin had any reason to believe their ms is messing things about? The nurse has no idea, neuro had no idea and haven’t even seen a haematologist!

Thanks for any help you can offer

a fed up and frustrated ssdd

just bumping you

1 Like

Hi

I have been on warfarin long term for many years now, and I also take baclofen and amitriptyline, and they definitely have an effect on my INR, as does any medication. Mine does go up and down for what seems like no reason, but the food you eat and drink can change your level, you have to be careful with things that contain vitamin k.

I also find if I am under the weather, for whatever reason, that also makes my INR drop, and it is very frustrating trying to keep it level.

Hopefully you will only need warfarin for 6 - 12 months (assuming you have only had one PE) but should you have to stay on it, you could decide to do the same as me. About 15 years ago I pur chased a Coagucheck machine, whereby I test my level daily and so know exactly how much warfarin to take to keep a level.

Hope this helps, take care.

Pam x

1 Like

Thanks for replying Pam. I knew about the Vit k and have trying to keep my diet consistent, but no matter what I do nothing helps! That’s why I wondered if any inflamation I may have might be hindering it? I don’t suppose I’ll ever know, would just like it in range so I can stop the twice a wk hospital visits - wouldn’t be so bad if I could drive but I can’t. The coag check sounds like a good idea but not sure id trust my judgement on dosing just yet, but maybe if it carries on past 6 months it would be worthwhile.

Thanks again. Xx

I had 3 PE’s in 2008 and haven’t been able to stabilise my INR since. It goes up and down like a hookers underwear but it doesn’t bother me any more. The docs just assume it is the cocktail of drugs I am on so check me every 3 weeks or so. Small price to pay to remain in the land of the living. My target range is 3 - 4.5 but I have had it go up to 6 or 7. As I said I used to let it bother me but not any more. I trust the doc and practice nurse to keep me safe. Que sera sera is my attitude.

gary