Injections

Hi everyone,

I’ve popped over from the newly diagnosed forum to ask you all something.

I was diagnosed with MS on Monday and I have been given literature about treatment but I can’t decide.

My question is: is the intra muscular injection a lot more painful then the subcutaneous one?

Thanks for reading my post

Mushaboom

Hiya,

I can’t give you a comparison, because I have only ever been on Avonex (weekly intra-muscular), but I can say that although the injections were painful for a while, they gave me slightly shorter needles and the injections were much better after that. There are pros and cons for everything, it might be useful to write them down, no matter how silly you think they might be, they’re relevant to your decision - that may make it easier to decide. Also, if you’re not getting on well with the drug that you’ve chosen first, it is not usually a problem for you to change onto another one - you’re not stuck with your initial choice. There is so much to take in and think about for you just now, but the people on this site are a good bunch, and we’ll help you if we can.

Good luck with everything

Luisa

I also cant give a comparison but I couldnt decide either, not a fan of injections at all. Went with the rebif and i have to say its really easy. You cant even see the needle go in. And its only 3 times a week xx

I’m sorry you have joined us, but welcome!

Like most people, I have only used one injectable - Avonex - I was on it for some years and never had much bother with it. Side effects were generally mild and easy to control with ibuprofen and the injection, while it was not my favourite activity, was OK too. And it’s only once a week.

You have a lot on your plate at the moment. Do take your time about choosing a DMD - I hope you don’t feel that you are being rushed. In my day (!) you would be offered whatever DMD your consultant favoured, take it or leave it, and at least that made life easy - there is a price to be paid for all the choices people are faced with these days (God, I sound even older than I am.) On the other hand, it is nice to be able to think about which delivery system might suit your life best. And besides, as others have rightly said, if your first choice does not suit, you can always try another. So please don’t get stressed about this decision.

There are no rights and wrongs - but whatever you decide, I hope that, like me, you feel glad to be taking one of the best available drugs to help deal with your MS.

Alison

x

Thank you so much for all your responses. It is such a relief to be able to talk to people who know what I’m going through!

My MS nurse recommended Avonex because I’m not that keen on needles (Not as bad as I was when all this started!) but the size of it scares me a bit, decisions, decisions.

Thanks again!

Rach

Thank you so much for all your responses. It is such a relief to be able to talk to people who know what I’m going through!

My MS nurse recommended Avonex because I’m not that keen on needles (Not as bad as I was when all this started!) but the size of it scares me a bit, decisions, decisions.

Thanks again!

Rach

I take Avonex which is Intramuscular and it is painless. You should be more concered about the side effects of whichever you choose than the injection.

Good luck whichever you decide

Daniel

I’ve been on Copaxone for a couple of months now. Like you I was worried about injecting but it’s really easy with the autoinject. Stings a little bit and do get a few lumps here and there but generally not a big issue. Don’t let the frequency of the injections put you off. Once you’ve done it a couple of times becomes second nature. Check out the ms decisions website - it’s really helpful in making decisions (hence the name). Anyway, sorry to hear of your diagnosis but welcome!

Aileen

Hia… Just to add the other one to the equation…I’m on copaxone, which is a daily injection. I have to be on these due to other tablets I’m on, including anti depressants, which can be a deciding factor, as copaxone is less mood changing than the others. Not so keen on needles, but actually doesn’t feel like a needle, and using the auto injector means you don’t see the needle until afterwards. stings a bit, but if you make sure it’s warmed up to room temperature first it’s fine! I’ve only been using it a few weeks, but apart from a few reactions on the sites, have had not problems. The ms nurses were great at showing me what to do before hand, and were there for the first injection. Good luck with your decision, sure which ever one you make will be the right one… Oh, and have you seen the website. Msdecisions? Worth a look! Jo x Jo x

Thanks guys,

That website is great, felt a bit weak looking at the injection videos I definitely think auto injection is my best bet.

Thanks again

Rach x

HI

I can’t comment on the different types of medication but I used to be on Avonex. I have an acute phobia of needles and so had to give it up. However, I was told that the pain receptors are mainly in the skin layers so the pain that you might feel whilst injecting would be the same whether it was an intramuscular injection or a subcutaneous injection.

I felt very little pain, in fact almost nothing, whilst I was injecting so don’t make your decision based on possible pain differences base it on which type of medication/injection would best suit you and your lifestyle.

Hope this helps

Echo X

[quote=“Mushaboom”]

Thanks guys,

That website is great, felt a bit weak looking at the injection videos I definitely think auto injection is my best bet.

Thanks again

Rach x

[/quote] Hi … Would agree with the auto inject, especially at the beginning! The website is a bit weak but the tables etc, with info on gives a good comparison! Didn’t mean to say same things as post before… Obviously great things think alike!! Jo x

Indeed they do Jo! Are you getting lumps?

Hi ~ I was originally on Rebiff 44 which I took 3 times a week. Absolutely hated it ~ had a lot of the side effects and also took really sore site reactions. Decided to come off this one and my MS nurse recommended Avonex which goes into the muscle. There is a new ‘pen’ for it so the ‘big’ needle aspect doesn’t apply. I have only started this and just injected for my 3rd time on Friday past. The first two were a bit horrendous but this time I must say that I haven’t had as many side effects. The plus side is that the pain level when injecting is basically non exsistant and also because it goes into the muscle I am not experiencing any site reactions.

Hope this can help in your decision.

Good luck

Hi Mushaboom

I was also told that I am eligble for DMD’s, and like most people I hate needles. The MS decisions website was really good for info and could show my hubby what it was all about and the comparisons. I have chosen Avonex because it is only once a week and suits me best. However, I am still waiting on being started on it, this is due to the neuro noticing that my liver function has been showing high on recent bloodtests and wants this resolved before starting them as they can affect liver function. It looks like it just a fatty liver and trying to look after this as best as I can. Prescription is with my MS nurse waiting on the go ahead. Rather nervous about it all.

Thanks for all the replies. Starting to get less fearful now, I’ve narrowed it down to two so will probably go with my gut instinct when nurse calls.

Ashd105, I hope your liver function resolves itself soon so you can get those first few dreaded injections over with x