Immune System

Hello everyone,

Just after some advice on building my immune system, foods, vitatmins etc. I have now had two different colds in the space of a few weeks. I catch everything.

Thanks

Kelly :))

Hi Kelly

About this time of year I normally start taking echinachea but the flamin’ cold got me early. Normally it helps keep the cold from starting but ain’t much help once you have one. Once I get a cold its orange juice for me - the vit C helps a little bit and it helps keep me hydrated.

Hope you feel better soon

JBK x

Its not advised to take echinacea when you have MS as the problem is that our immune systems are too effective already, they are attacking themselves, so echinacea may encourage that.

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/echinacea.jsp

I think all you can do is eat really well, loads of fresh stuff and water.

Thanks for your reply, Was thinking long term, I know its low because only have to look at someone with a cold etc and ive got it. Its rubbish because it stops me from seeing friends and family etc becuse as soon as they say there ill or been ill I wont go anywhere near :frowning:

Does anyone else have any advice?

[quote=“amylou”]

Its not advised to take echinacea when you have MS as the problem is that our immune systems are too effective already, they are attacking themselves, so echinacea may encourage that.

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/atoz/echinacea.jsp

I think all you can do is eat really well, loads of fresh stuff and water.

[/quote] This is what my neuro told me 16 years ago… Nice to know we have over active systems.

Hand gels, sprays , and keeping a little distance. Plenty of vit c… But please lay off the other stuff , you could make matters worse XX

Hi, vitamin D3 is very good for the immune system AND is recommended by lots of neuro’s for MS (inc my own neuro).

But you need to get the high dose that is not available on NHS. Healthy Origins on Amazon do capsules for about a tenner… and that’s almost a year’s supply. It’s 5,000 iu (international units) daily.

After the first few months ask your GP to do a Vit D blood test. Although many people believe you can’t overdose on Vit D, it is possible to go too high so it’s worth getting tested.

In terms of catching things and MS… it’s very strange how some people with MS catch everything and others never catch a thing. I haven’t had a virus or bug for years. Apprently that’s because my immune system is working overtime trying to kill off the MS… but it’s not the same for everyone with MS. Not sure if any research has been done on why this is.

Hope this helps,

Pat x

I eat whole oranges, 2-3 a day. Helps a lot.