Hi, first time on here

At the moment I haven’t a clue what is wrong with me. I don’t know if my symptoms will lead to a diagnosis of MS or something else. Whatever the future brings, it has been a comfort to see posts from people with things happening to them that seem to be happening to me. Over 2 years ago I went to the doc because I couldn’t shake the fatigue that I was feeling. She did lots of bloods and couldn’t find anything wrong. It eventually lifted and I was fine for about 6 months. It lifted again after about a month so I didn’t go back to her. About 2 months ago something happened that made me stop and examine my health more. I realised that increasingly I was unable to find words in my head when I needed them. I would also lose track of what I was saying and encounter a blank wall in my head. I found that instead of heading for my car to go into town I was stood in our front room with my keys in my hand trying to unlock the standard lamp. My children have commented that I have become very forgetful (which they love!!).

I have also become so clumsy. I fall sideways for no reason. I am forever dropping things or knocking them over. I reach for things and think i have got hold of them, then find I haven’t. This is not good when beekeeping I hasten to add! I have found that this has happened a couple of times over the last couple of years. Also my hand gets the shakes terribly.My shoulder twitches on the same side of the body. I have real problems with swallowing and my speech seems to become slurred. It feels like my body has forgotten how to do these things.

I went back to the doctor two months ago and when I showed her my hand and explained what i had noticed she decided to refer me to the neurologist. I have an appointment on the 7th Aug. The last couple of days have felt so much worse that I am starting to count down the days. I had started to feel brighter so decided to try and get on my exercise bike. I didn’t do much because I didn’t want to overdo it. I was fine when i got off and went and had a bath. When I went to get out I had problems as my legs had decided to join my shaky hand and i had trouble standing. The shaky leg feeling has continued and although I mentally want to get and do things it feels as though my legs are going to give way when I’m standing. I’m hoping this stops soon!

I’m sorry this seems to have turned into an essay. I try to talk to my husband about this but I don’t think he understands how this is actually making me feel. I say I feel tired all the time and he just turns it round to how tired he is. I guess I just need a little reassurance at the moment that I am still (slightly) sane!

Sharon

Hi Sharon, and welcome :slight_smile:

The “I’m tired too” thing is a well known frustration! Other people just don’t get it :frowning: However, you’re in the right place to find others who really do get it, and hate it just as much!

It’s a good idea to avoid baths for those of us who find heat and/or humidity makes symptoms worse: best to stick to warm (not hot) showers or cool baths. Those long, hot soaks may well be a thing of the past I’m afraid :frowning:

Just a word of warning: diagnosis can take a while because lots of neurological conditions share similar symptoms and many don’t have definitive tests that can narrow things down straightaway, so although the neuro may find out what’s causing your symptoms quite quickly, it’s best to be prepared for a bit of a long haul.

Fingers crossed for the quick option :slight_smile:

Karen x

Hi Karen

Thanks. I 'm all prepared for long haul. Slightly afraid they’re going to say ‘haven’t a clue’ and be no further forward. Any explanation will be better than not knowing. At least my doc takes me seriously. I said to her that I felt I was going mad. She just said that she wouldn’t be referring me if she didn’t think something was wrong :slight_smile: That day was such a relief and the first time I mentioned everything that had been happening to my husband. Up till that point I knew he would think I was imagining it.

I will keep everything crossed for a quick option :slight_smile: In the meantime i’ll keep laughing along with my kids at all my mishaps and forgetfulness. I have told their school just to give me a bell if I forget to turn up at hometime :slight_smile:

Sharon x

Hi Sharon

I posted yesterday for the first time and i can totally relate to how you’re feeling. I have quite a responsible job and have noticed a few times when im on the phone i tend to slur my words and i can’t count the amount of times i’ve forgotten a word, it’s embarrassing when i’m at work, one time a guy i was trying to talk to said - well thats two minutes of my life i’ll never get back, very frustrating indeed!

I have my neurologists appointment on 19th July and the guys on here have give me so much advise for which i’m truly grateful, i finally feel as if i can speak my mind on here, hope you feel that way too.

Hopefully we will get some answers from our appointments.

Ang x

Hi Sharon

I posted yesterday for the first time and i can totally relate to how you’re feeling. I have quite a responsible job and have noticed a few times when im on the phone i tend to slur my words and i can’t count the amount of times i’ve forgotten a word, it’s embarrassing when i’m at work, one time a guy i was trying to talk to said - well thats two minutes of my life i’ll never get back, very frustrating indeed!

I have my neurologists appointment on 19th July and the guys on here have give me so much advise for which i’m truly grateful, i finally feel as if i can speak my mind on here, hope you feel that way too.

Hopefully we will get some answers from our appointments.

Ang x

Hi Ang

Hope we do indeed. Good luck for your appointment. I am definitely counting down the days to mine. It does feel good knowing that there is somewhere we can say things and not be seen as completely bonkers!

Look forward to speaking to you again

Sharon x