help with walking

hi, im a bit stuck here, i don’t see the neurologist for another 3 weeks but my walking is not good, my legs keep going weak when i walk to far or too long then they tend to go from under me then i look like a drunk on the floor, i have no idea where to go or who to talk to (dr or neurologist) to get help, like arm crutches for when i need them, im pushing my legs as much as i can and get excersise as much as i can but my legs just decide they have enough and do there own thing which is very frustrating, ive been looking on the internet to buy crutches which are expensive, mum has said have i tried going to a occupational therapist but i dont know if im supposed to get referred or if i go myself or even if its the right place to go to? theres a place near me the neville garrett centre but theres a very long waiting list for any equipment for people who need them .if anyone has any ideas id really appreciate the help, thanks alot. vicki

Hi Vicki

Get your gp to refer you to an OT, they will be able to sort you out

with whatever walking aid would be best suited for you.

Pam

Or get your ms nurse to refer you to physio… i got seen by physio briefly whilst i was in for Tysabri and she let me come away with some crutches.I dont have an actual referral to physio yet. Still waiting on that one.

aahh thats great, thankyou very much, ill ring the dr’s monday then, thankyou

You need to see a physio - preferably a neuro rehab physio rather than a general one. He or she can advise on walking aids (and supply them). This reminds me of me - I started off on stick, then two sticks, then two crutches. Distance I could walk before the weakness set in also decreased. Important you get instruction on how to walk with sticks/crutches - there is a system! On a practical note - if distance you can walk is limited, a blue badge? Also you may qualify for DLA mibility component. Your MS nurse can refer to physio, or your GP.

i have’nt got a ms nurse, i was diagnosed the end of march and this will be the second time i see the neurologist in 3 weeks, so i have’nt been reffered to a ms nurse or anyone else by either the dr or the neurologist, im still trying to figure everything out by my own about who to see, how to gio about it, trying to find out where and who to go to for help when i need it

i have’nt got a ms nurse, i was diagnosed the end of march and this will be the second time i see the neurologist in 3 weeks, so i have’nt been reffered to a ms nurse or anyone else by either the dr or the neurologist, im still trying to figure everything out by my own about who to see, how to gio about it, trying to find out where and who to go to for help when i need it

vicki, your neuro will sort your ms nurse and we all need one for first point of contact, i would also ask your neuro about dmd’s. good luck. Tony…

I second the others who have suggested physio. They will help you get the right walking aids and teach you how to use them. I was ref. to physio by my neurologist but your GP could probably do it too. If at all possible you need a neuro physo (as SGT suggested) because they understand fatigue better than general ones and won’t push you too hard.

Jane

I think the Red Cross can loan certain kinds of equipment:

http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-do/Health-and-social-care/Social-support-in-the-UK/Medical-equipment

hi

i can confirm what mrbobowen says-i have currently got a wheelchair on loan from them.

ellie x

Hi, like you I could only walk so far and my legs would buckle. After I saw my physio he suggested I get a rollator, which is on 4 wheels has handles and brakes and you push it until you feel you need to rest and the bonus of it is, it has a seat. I have found it invaluable, go in a shop and there is a queque, so put the brakes on and sit down. Great. I think though depending on where you live as to whether you get one free or have to buy your own. I had to buy mine and it is worth every penny, and it folds up and sits in the back of a car. Amazon do them. Hope this helps.

Janet

x

Hi Vicki I was given 2 elbow crutches by the hospital physio when I was in. I still use them S my gait is shocking. Yo have exactly the symptoms I had, dr Ink without a drink. You could try Local authority social services for OT vist Seeming you doc and pestering them A visit to local PCT walk in centre, they may I’ve you A gist to A&E they may give you. They are not cheap and they may give you, it’s an idea for you Mike :slight_smile: