Help please

wow! 22 years since your mri and diagnosis - thing have changed considerably in the way ms patients are treated nowadays. I was diagnosed 11 years ago and was told then that without a 2nd relapse i didnt qualify for any treatments. But hey ho! Things have changed for the better and now if you’ve been diagnosed you are eligible for a 1st line dmd to help slow down the progession of ms by reducing the relapse rate by as much as 50%. i also take a variety of vitamins to help repair nerve damage etc. as well as a high dose of vitamins. Due to recent info i had read i also asked for a vit d test which came back very low_ my results came back very low and I was prescribed a mega dose for 3 months and referred back to my neuro who advised me to start a dmd. i chose tecfidera, which has shown to reduce relapse rate by around 50%. one of the best DMD’s out there at the moment.Hopefully, you will be offered a dmd to help prevent fuether relapses as well as steroids to help you recover quickly and then any meds you need to help with any other side effects. i am a strong believer in helping myself and have followed advice from people on this site as well as others in following a very healthy vegan type diet, with fish and extra vitamins to help recover brain neuro pathways etc After all, a healthy diet cant hurt, can it? Good luck with your neuro appointment. Hopsy all goes well coe you. shaon x

3 Likes

Thank you! I am waiting for an appt with the neurologist but have to be strong enough to walk again first as I live in a first floor flat with stairs. Taken first dose of steroids this morning so waiting for any effects now.

Karen

x

I’ve just re-read my message and realised it’s a bit all over the place and with bad spelling too! - I put it all down to chunky thumbs on my phone keypad! ha ha xxx I hope the steroids kick in quickly. The only side effects i got from oral steroids was that I struggled to sleep and weight gain :frowning: I hope thing pick up for you quickly and you get to meet your elusive neuro soon. xxx Sharon x

1 Like

Does anyone know if it’s safe to use paracetamol whilst on dexamethasone & baclofen? Got a bit of a headache which has not helped getting more than a couple of hours sleep so if I can get rid of it I will be grateful! I know ibuprofen is a no no because it’s the same family as baclofen but don’t know if paracetamol is ok?

Hi Karen,

Your flat seems entirely unsuitable for the two of you.

Do you have any help from your local authority? You are entitled to an assessment of care needs by your Council.

Anthony

5 Likes

Hiya

I’ve never heard that ibuprofen doesn’t mix with Baclofen. And I take ibuprofen and/or paracetamol together with Baclofen whenever I get a headache. And have done for years. If you’re worried though, phone your local pharmacy and ask for their advice.

Sue

2 Likes

No we don’t have any help from the local council. Not neede any till now

Hiya

The steroids are now done but I have been left with a belly on fire and brain all scrambled. I have been constipated for a week, now cleared a tiny bit but I feel like I have the sun sown inside me! I feel permanently knackered too, will this pass or do I need a doc?

Steroids can cause all kind of issues hun. My husband takes them regular and you really should only take them with omniprozole which helps.

Reading your posts wow, you have coped really well, but i wonder why the relapse was triggered, you may have a urinary infection. I would have your urine checked anyway.

Call 111 and ask them advice. You know in your circumstances I would also ring your local Adult support services. They will arrange to have an assessment of your needs, and hopefully can advise you and even help you move into a more suitable place.

Although that isnt the question you asked, i am adding it, as i think you need help.

I would ring 111. Hope you get sorted. Constipation is a side effect for my husband too on steroids, and we keep prune juice and prunes handy for him which helps, or even try senokot if you can get them. xx

Steroids carry on working after you complete the course so will be still in your sytem working. x