Health benefits of sage

Hi folks, I now grow sage in my garden and it does spread itself out a bit too much for my liking, but hearing the other day that our ancestors used it as a medicine I thought I’d look it up and was pleasantly surprised.

Impressive Benefits Of Sage## Out of the many health benefits of sage, some of the most important include its ability to improve brain function, lower inflammation throughout the body, prevent chronic diseases, boost the strength of the immune system, regulate proper digestion, alleviate skin conditions, increase the health and strength of bones, slow the onset of cognitive disorders, and prevent the onset of diabetes.## Sage## Don’t let the name of “common” sage or garden sage fool you; this perennial woody herb is anything but normal or average when it comes to its impact on human health. Scientifically known as Salvia officinalis, sage is closely related to rosemary, and they are often considered “sister herbs”. In fact, many of sage’s health benefits are derived from rosmarinic acid, the organic compound found in rosemary that makes it so powerful. It does have its differences, and is actually an evergreen shrub with woody stems and blue/purple flowers that is found in the Mediterranean region.## The traditional use of sage in medicine is well-documented and stretches back thousands of years. It was initially used for the treatment of snakebite, protecting against evil, boosting female fertility, and other uses that are no longer en vogue or relied on.## However, modern research has discovered that the impact of sage on the human body can be considerable, which is why it is widely exported around the world and makes it into recipes from the United States to the Middle East. Typically, it is added to savory dishes due to its slightly peppery flavor, and is a key ingredient in many holiday meals and meat-based preparations. The combination of these culinary uses with its undeniable medicinal impact makes sage very valuable for human health. With that in mind, let’s take a more in-depth look at the health benefits of sage.## ## Health Benefits Of Sage## Cognitive Boost: Research has shown that even small amounts of sage, whether smelled or consumed, can increase recall abilities and memory retention in subjects. The brain activity also demonstrates increased concentration and focus on a chosen topic, which means that for young people in school or for those in challenging, intellectually demanding careers, adding a bit of it to your diet may be a subtle, but effective brain booster.## Inflammation Issues: Chewing on sage leaves is not always the most pleasant remedy, as the flavor can be quite intense, but this may be the most effective way to get the organic compounds acting in your system the fastest. Creating a tincture or steeping leaves can also due the trick, but if you suffer from inflammatory issues, particularly in the respiratory or gastrointestinal tracts, you can eliminate that inflammation with this sage brew. The anti-inflammatory qualities of sage extend to health issues such as arthritis and gout, as well as general inflammation of the cardiovascular system, which can result in heart disease and increased blood pressure. The flavonoids and phenolic compounds found in it are responsible for these beneficial effects.## Antioxidant Impact: Chronic conditions and degenerative diseases can be some of the most debilitating and dangerous health concerns that you face in your life. Many of these health issues are caused by free radicals, the dangerous by products of cellular metabolism that attack healthy cells, causing apoptosis or mutation. Antioxidant compounds found in sage, such as rosmarinic acid, luteolin, and apigenin, can all work to neutralize free radicals and prevent them from creating oxidative stress in the heart, organ systems, skin, joints, muscles, and even the brain.

1 Like

I use sage out of the garden. Yesterday I cooked mackeral with red pepper, sweetcorn on leaves of sage. I also eat two types of fennel leaves and parsley first thing in the morning out of the garden. The fennel is very large at the moment. I grow sorrel to eat most days as a salad or vegetable and include chives (not all the time as they are not on my have every day list), rosemary sometimes, mint, lemon mint for its aroma, then just finished for the season I eat redcurrants and blackcurrants in the morning, all out of the garden. They are all on my good list. There are not massive amounts of plants in my garden but I make sure that there is some herb or other available all year round.

1 Like

9 Impressive Benefits Of Sage

Out of the many health benefits of sage, some of the most important include its ability to improve brain function, lower inflammation throughout the body, prevent chronic diseases, boost the strength of the immune system, regulate proper digestion, alleviate skin conditions, increase the health and strength of bones, slow the onset of cognitive disorders, and prevent the onset of diabetes.

Health Benefits Of Sage

1. Cognitive Boost
  2. Inflammation Issues
  3. Antioxidant Impact
  4. Cognitive Disorders
  5. Immune System Strength
  6. Bone Strength
  7. Skin Conditions
  8. Diabetes Management
  9. Digestion

A Final Word of Warning: Although there is not a measurable amount of oxalates or purines, nor is sage considered a typically allergenic herb, it is still in the mint family, so those who suffer from allergic reactions to members of that broad plant family should still consult a doctor before adding it to your dietary or supplementation regimen.

1 Like

Sounds good i love herbs …i burn sage in my house to to give a positive energy …it does smell like cannabis…has a relaxing effect …i will consider growing sage now and give it a go…