Has anyone else experienced sensitivity to noise?

Hi there,

I’m noticing more and more that I can’t tolerate loud noise. I have a mother who’s naturally quite loud when she talks. Sometimes when I hear her talking the sound actually makes me feel sick and makes me feel dizzy. Also, in some other situations with loud noises, I’m noticing it’s bothering me so much my head feels like it’s shaking? Does anyone else suffer from this, is it part of having MS? What can I do??

Thanks Charlotte x

2 Likes

Hi Char14,

personally I don’t get this , but I have a friend who has fibromyalgia which is a similar condition to ms and she really struggles with noises and also with bright lights .

Hello Char14, I’ve had MS for too long to mention and I’ve found in the last few years that I’m very sensitive to sudden noises and certain high-pitched noises - It makes me want to shake my head to get the noise out. I’m guessing it’s all to do with nerve damage and transmission but, I could be wrong! You’re not alone though.

I so get this, had it really since I started with MS, 13yrs ago, can’t stand loud noises, sudden bang’s, even our dog barking sends me off edge, that’s why I don’t like being in crowds, friends only have small get to together’s so we can go, it’s very annoying, but something I just can’t help, you so are not alone, I bet you get a good few replies to this, x x

Yes i have it bad when it comes. Its called Hypercusis is common in MS.

Me too.

Yes. I have problems with loud noise. Especially sudden. I also have light sensitivity issues. X

The main noise I can’t tolerate is rustling, like the noise made when opening a packet.

1 Like

oh I get that 1 deb74

1 Like

Turn that bloody tv down is my usual rant

1 Like

Hi greenhouse. I find the rustling is so loud it hurts my ears!

Me too with both.

Hello, I am new. I have this. A whistling noise, like when people make the “S” sound through their teeth can send a shock down my spine or neck. Whispering, the same thing. I never put that together until now, in fact. My daughter has an aversion to some noises, like chewing or heavy breathing, and we think she has misophonia. I wonder if that’s connected with MS or is hereditary?

If there are lots of different sounds happening at once I can find it overwhelming, sometimes to the point where I have to cover my ears and ask whoever I’m with to take the baby/turn off the TV/close the window etc to stop the noises colliding in my head - you literally can’t think. Reassured to know it’s not just me x

1 Like

I get this too. Sudden noises make me jump, don’t have to be loud either. When the radiator in my room is cooling/heating it makes a creaking sound, makes me cringe as my nerves jigger and shiver and not in a pleasant way, has been like this for years. Listening to stuff through my headphones eg. Youtube music videos the sound level is just above mute. I-Player volume is set at 1 because I found any sudden loud shouts/bangs etc. and it was causing me too many jolts. Not pleasant, but as above it’s good to have a name for the syndrome. Crazy Chick thank you for Hypercusis.

1 Like

I am naturally a noisy person, loud so I am told hehe. However I am distraught when anyone stirs a China cum withetal spoon. That noise is unbearable to me. There are other noises that get to me but the above is by far the most painful.