Forum

Had my first collapse today

So I was feeling great for a few weeks I even jumped over a wall! Last time I done that I was in my 30s.

But today I went to get some shopping in and smack bang in the middle of the high street my legs buckled and down I went.

I know something like this was bound to happen at some point but It was totally out of the blue. I was just mortified! But this is the thing.Nobody helped me up or came to see if I needed help. The only thing I heard was a woman saying “that’s terrible getting in that state at this time of the day”

What a nightmare! Idiotic ppl making me not trust myself 2 go out!

I’m so angry with myself! Has this happens to anyone? Could use some advice on how to get over this coz at the moment I don’t want to go out again… Cheers peeps

Hi Paul

Oh yes, this happened to me a lot at one time. I had some quite spectacular falls! I got myself a stick, which helped. Then I used Shopmobility scooters, before buying my own.

Is it dropped foot that’s making you trip? Have you thought about trying FES?

Speak to a physiotherapist for advice, yeh?

Pollx

5 Likes

Thanx poll! I’m just newly diagnosed but didn’t think it would happen so soon. Go in to see the doc tomorrow so I’ll find out what’s going on. I’m still learning all about this scary bloomin thing. I just can’t get over how bloody angry I am! I’m not normally a angry person but I just want something to blame it on if you know what I mean? But loads of ppl worse than me so canny grumble eh☺

Hope all is well with you poll…Paul x (that don’t look right )

1 Like

“that’s terrible getting in that state at this time of the day”

OM*G. so awful it is almost funny. the unashamedly judgemental are everywhere.

3 Likes

Unknown to me at the time 2011, that was the very first symptom that I had. My knee buckled and gave way, without warning as I walked along a beach, bare foot on the sand. It lead to me having x-rays and MRIs on my knees over time, consultants believing it was an Orthopaedic problem.

I was dx with MS last May. I now use a crutch for support and even if I don’t think I need it on my outward journey, boy do I need it on my way back. The fear of falling, without any warning terrified me. Still does. Escalators I’ll avoid if there’s an elevator available. I would have given that passer by such a mouthful!! I get angry too. I think it’s part of being diagnosed and just one of the many faces of fear. I get angry too sometimes, but I know deep down it’s my fear of the unknown…this has moved along so very fast, where is it going to lead to eventually, why am I bothering with injections (DMDs) if I can’t see any benefit, etc etc etc.

You can’t hide away forever. MS sucks, for sure, but you cant let the b*tch win! Get a fancy cane and get your ass back out there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey poppy, I know your right it’s silly but real! I’m starting injections in a fortnight. Is it a waste of time? I was pinning my hopes on this. Do they not work? I’m going to give it a go coz honestly I’ll try anything!

Hope you are well…Paul

Hi Paul

Sometimes it’s something like a UTI (urinary tract infection) that can make your legs do things like that. So perhaps take a urine sample with you to the doctors and get it checked out?

Unless as Poll suggested it’s foot drop (where your toes won’t pick up when your brain gives the command). In which case, try to get some physiotherapy. In fact, you should do that regardless of foot drop.

Or it could be the start of a relapse. Do you have any new symptoms, or has anything got worse lately (apart from your legs giving way that is!)? If you have new symptoms, speak to your MS nurse asap. S/he should be able to recommend some steroids and get onto your GP to arrange a prescription. I am assuming you are RR not SP or PP (relapsing remitting rather than secondary or primary progressive).

Sorry if I’m explaining too much, but as you said you are newly diagnosed, I’m assuming you are still in the ‘big learning curve’ stage of MS.

People are such gits, supposing you to be drunk. I presume it’s because you don’t look ‘ill’ or ‘disabled’, and are young and male. This is where a t-shirt saying ‘I’m not drunk I have MS’ would come in handy. Regardless of that, keep in mind that it does happen to us all at some point, either the falling over, wetting ourselves or worse. The last time I fell over, I was using a crutch at a cafe in the summer a few years ago. My husband dropped me off right by the cafe and went to park as it was rammed. I walked up a small path towards an empty table with bench seats either side. I went to sit down, was a bit too close to the edge, fell off and landed on my bum. Two complete strangers did at least come and help me up. It’s a benefit of being both female and a bit older (I assume) as well as having a crutch!! Still horribly embarrassing.

But, see what your doctor says, are you seeing your GP or neurologist? I ask because many GPs are not ever so knowledgeable about MS, which is why it’s worth talking to an MS nurse or neurology nurse. If needed, they can liaise with your GP as well as physio and any other services near to you. Plus they could see if a neurologist appointment is available soon. My area has a community neurology team, which is multi disciplinary, so most services are either part of the team or they can refer you to other services that they don’t cover. So I can just phone them and ask for some physio help for instance. So maybe see what is available in your area.

Sue

3 Likes

Paul, sorry about your fall and saddened by people’s horrid reactions. Whilst feeling angry is completely reasonable and understandable, try to limit being angry. It was pointed out to me how much energy is involved in being angry, as I do not have much energy to waste I have developed a thicker skin and a more mellow accepting approach to some of my problems. This has allowed me to do other stuff. I still do get angry but I am more selective and I do not waste too much on stuff I can not do much about.

All the best Mick

6 Likes

Paul,

I have also fallen over a number of times, at work and out in the street. My problem is drop foot, especially in my right foot, and it tends to catch on uneven ground. I was once picked up by two burly men, which sounds like a line from ‘Round the Horn,’ and also tells you my age and radio predilections.

As Sue and Poll have suggested, a trip to your Physiotherapist is essential. They can advise on exercises but also help with certain items of support. For instance, they issued me with an Ossur FootUp support which reduces the foot drop.

As far as walking is concerned, a near neighbour who also has MS charges about using crutches. They would not work for me, however I have invested in a rollator. I had to make a decision whether to remain stupidly proud and stuck indoors, or bin the pride card and use such devices as are available. Strong words from Mrs Owen soon put me straight. I do have walking poles and they did help with balance issues and prevented me from tumbling a number of times. They are useful now in certain situations, but I cannot walk any distance any more. However, the rollator is a godsend as you can stop and rest on the seat as often as you wish.

Of course, I have no idea what your walking is normally like and whether you would countenance such aids. I use a scooter for longish journeys about town, my rollator to get to the library and the poles around the house and garden. This combination works for me.

All I am trying to convey, in a rather convoluted manner, is that there is support available and devices to get you out and about. I empathise over the embarrassment factor but, being older than you, I don’t care any more. Don’t be put off by stupid ignoramuses.

Best wishes

Alun

5 Likes

I chose Plegridy as my drug of choice, after not much deliberation, to be honest. Read through the glossy brochures and thought, " an injection once a fortnight, easy! That’ll do for me". Wrong. I started in July, progressing to full dosage in August. I had a relapse in mid September which saw me spening another week in hospital on iv steroids. I wasn’t expecting that and I was bitterly disappointed. That second relapse left a marked difference to my walking, in so much as I can hardly walk outside of the house now, thus the crutch.

I was still trying to take in that I has a progressive life changing illness and didn’t make an informed decision. Since joining here and learning so much, I now realise Tecfidera seems the better option, and intend to ask to change when I see my Neuro end of month. I realise they all come with possible side effects and that’s ok so long as you know what to expect. I suppose I was looking for an “improvement” of sorts when I began my DMDs, when really that was not going to happen. They aim to reduce relapse and slow progression. What have you chosen Paul?

Urgh, that assumption of drunkenness is what’s held me back from going out a lot of the time. As it’s nearly a year since my last relapse now (thank you Tecfidera!) I can walk a lot more visibly normally now, just rather slowly, so I think I’m currently free of people thinking I’m pissed, but I’m NOT free from my left knee giving out on me with zero warning.

Thankfully it’s not done it when I’ve been out (because I hardly go out…) but it has nearly caused nasty incidents indoors. Fairly recently it went out on me as I was coming downstairs, VERY luckily I just ended up sitting down extremely suddenly rather than falling down the stairs, so I’ve got that to be very grateful for. But I feel like it’s only a matter of time before I end up injured because of it doing this.

2 Likes

Coincidence ! I had a spectacular prat-fall at home today. stepping down out of our utility room and suddenly flat on my face without warning. First time this has happened - no trip, just my legs gave way. Two twisted ankles, a strained calf muscle and a bruised knee. Not to mention battered pride.

Have replied to your pm Paul…

Lucky enough not to have had a collapse yet. My right knee still shakes like a pathetic weak jelly when walking downhill - I’m paranoid that it’s going to go from under me one of these days. I have been accused of being drunk on several occasions because of the way I ended up walking. I must admit, I was so outraged by this that I publicly berated her. It went a little along the lines of ‘how dare you suggest I’m drunk? I have MS!’ My current diagnosis is CIS, but try explaining that to the great unwashed. I’ve actually been sworn at for not taking help that was offered - because they were in a rush. I didn’t need help, I needed an extra 10 seconds of patience to get my toilet roll in my granny trolley. She didn’t appreciate me telling her to set off earlier next time either, haha! People have let doors go on me when I was on crutches, and I’ve even been shoved past so hard that I ended up on the floor. I find public humiliation makes these disgusting excuses for human beings actually think about their actions. Saying that, it works for me because I’m an Army brat (RMP Dad), have an ex-Royal Engineer on my arm and an answer for everything. People tend to move away quickly because I embarrass them for being rude and having no manners and/patience. This may get others assaulted, so I can’t recommend this course of action for safety reasons (but I’m told it’s hilarious to watch!).

I’m so sorry that some people suck, Paul. Someone will always come along to restore your faith in humanity, they’re not all bad. I used to get really angry about the benefit cheats in my town that walk a crutch down the road, tapping it on the ground as they walk at 4-5 mph. Or the registered alcoholic that uses a walking stick until she gets to the pub, then puts it on the side and trots around without so much as a limp as she’s collecting glasses for free pints. I sat back and thought about it. What I may have may be a life sentence but, these people tend to stick needles in themselves or poison their liver until they turn yellow and die at a much younger age. I tend to pity these people nowadays, it has to be a pretty bleak existance having to reach for the the whiskey at 8am. All those on this site are the brave ones. They deal with their own issues and come on here to help the rest of us too. Thanks to this site, I’m still sane.

Mx

I fall over quite a lot so you have my sympathies … one of the downsides to (some) MS is people can’t ‘see’ your disability so assume you are drunk. On the other hand, one of the upsides to (some) MS is people can’t ‘see’ your disability and so assume you are ‘normal’.

There’s often an upside, it is just sometimes chuffing hard to find it

3 Likes

Hi Paul,

I am so sorry to hear that you fell- obviously an indictment of how appalling some people are, more than your condition. i think some posters above have mentioned the shame that bystanders would regard to those ignorant bstrds who lie in judgement, and i agree entirely.

do you have a stick? this may help in two ways- firstly and most importantly helping your mobility and confidence; secondly, something to whack such people who make such comments.

all the best, fluffyollie

p.s. perhaps not a great idea to deliberately strike these bigots, however deserving they are, BUT accidents DO happen, especially if you’re ‘pissed, so early in the day’ ;0)

2 Likes

I guess one thing about a stick is it’s (hopefully) a visual indicator to other people that you’re not 100% stable on your feet, and they should give you some space on the pavement, and cut you some slack about how you walk.

Also that you can cough accidentally cough trip up the obnoxious people with it…

3 Likes

My ‘F’ got asteriskised!

I hadn’t realised the word ‘fictional’ was so obscene!

3 Likes

Gasp! Shock horror. Surely you mean “ictional”?

3 Likes

I agree with the above post regarding the stick being a visual indicator. When I eventually got over my pride and got my first walking stick, I was pleasantly surprised of the reaction of total strangers, eg moving out of the way, opening doors and even apologising to me when I bumped into them.

Now I use two crutches. I’ve been struggling with the MS recently and my walking is awful. However, I make sure I concentrate on my walking and try hard not to get distracted. I must have said to myself “don’t fall” a million times in the last week. My fear of falling has made my walking slower, more laboured and more deliberate but I’ve only fallen a couple of times recently which in itself is a mini- victory.

Derek

4 Likes