Getting the giggles

Do others get this? I find if I start to laugh at something, I give out these uncontrollable honking giggles, out of proportion to whatever is amusing. And crying is the same - not just a little snivel, as before, but great bawling noises. Weird. And embarrassing.

Haven’t posted for a while but read everyone’s posts regularly. I am having a double appointment with my GP next week to go over my consultant’s letter, ie the guy who gave me all of 10 mins for my yearly meeting, and didn’t have time to go through my list of questions. Will probably come to nothing, but it makes you feel more pro-active.

4 Likes

Yes, i do it can be embarrassing sometimes. xx

1 Like

Hi Lynda,

I get get this especially with crying and I know Pat. (Snow Leopard) does too it has a name but surprise surprise it escapes me at the moment but it is MS related.

Take care,

Nina X

1 Like

Can’t think of the name either, but it’s very MS!

I used to get it at work before I even had an inkling that I had MS…would start giggling uncontrollably & would end up locked in the toilet until I could calm down.

I still get it but as I live on my own & don’t work it’s only Dickie The Cat who looks at me as if I’m nuts!

Pat xx

3 Likes

Found it…Pseudobulbar affect:

Pat xx

2 Likes

LyndaT

no but I now have a massive over emotional response to stuff, I find myself welling up for the most inconsequential stuff on TV. I would not mind but I am a cynical old techie and my “rational” self can feel it happening. If I do start to giggle it can develop into an uncontrollable tearful breathless laugh. This makes friends and family laugh too, so it is not seen as a bad thing. Just one more thing beyond my control. Thanks again MS

2 Likes

Pat, thanks so much for this great info, I had assumed that my “welling up” was related to MS but was too uptight to ask or look into it. I feel slightly less silly now.

cheers Mick

1 Like

I can cry at anything and everything (so much for me having been a ruffty tuffty builder) I even cry at adverts and dont mention call the midwife.

I dont get the giggles but the crying more than makes up for it

Don

4 Likes

I am so glad that it is not just me, I found myself welling up when someone did well during Antiques blooming Roadshow for goodness sake, as an ex biker I feel that any street cred I had disappeared along with my dignity.

Mick (never known as well 'ard)

3 Likes

I don’t seem to get the giggles, but I feel like an emotional wreck, cry at anything, sometimes cry when I should feel pleased!

Glad it’s not just me being a big wuss.

Pam x

3 Likes

Only giggles I got was when my niece suggested brownies with a certain substance added, I just went with it. I may have to ask her for more, I could do with a good laugh.M xx

2 Likes

WOW!! You are all wonderful. Just shows how you shouldn’t sit and fret about stuff, but air it on the forum, when everyone pitches in and is supportive. I had to go to my 88 year old aunt’s funeral last week. I wasn’t sad, she’d had a good life, but I found I was totally embarrassing myself with great gasping blubbering which I had to fight to control…then get the same reaction to stuff on the news, pieces,of music…gawd. Anyway, the LSH (long suffering husband) now thinks his jokes are brilliant, as I start giggling and can’t stop.

3 Likes

Hello Lynda.

I still roar about childish jokes; especially ones relating to flatulence. Sometimes I have to bite my lip whilst lying in bed. Some things just seem so funny when you’re trying not to laugh and wake up your other half. It’s even funnier if you have no real idea how to explain what you are laughing at.

On the reverse side, I no longer blub during Call the Midwife. I think this is due to anti-depressants, Maybe if I keep watching I’ll soften. Hang on, the series has just finished. (But I’m not going to cry about it.)

Best wishes, Steve.

1 Like

Hi Linda, I always bubble at funerals especially if they play ‘the old rugged cross’. If my family listen to me they will not have that when my turn comes!

Call the Midwife I have to record and watch it when no-one is home.

Take care, guys be safe M

2 Likes

I don’t giggle much but like so many of you I cry so easily, to the amusement of my family. As soon as anything slightly emotional happens on the telly I’m sniffling and welling up. Don’t even mention the adverts with the poor abused donkeys or animals or children needing donations. It’s not even just sad things that set me off either, it’s anything emotional. I don’t mind too much if I’m home as the family just send the tissues my way but I get so embarrassed when it happens while I’m out. MS symptoms are more varied than anyone could describe.

Cath x

3 Likes