Forum

Getting better?

Hello everybody, I’ve had RR MS for about 8 years and in that time, although the right side of my body, and just the little finger of my left hand, have remained numb, I’ve been fortunate not to have had any relapses (I think). I’m on Copaxone, and I put myself on a gluten free diet about 5 years ago. I also went vegan a couple of years ago—after having been vegetarian for over 20 years. I was diagnosed on my birthday, so I make a point of doing something really pleasant on that day every year. This year I got on the bus and went to the cinema, to see Pacific Rim. On the bus back I realised that my numb left little finger wasn’t numb anymore! OK, 8 years is a heck of a long time to have to wait for symptom to disappear, but hey, it’s a move in the right direction. I just wish I knew why it got better, because if I knew whatever it is that caused it, I’d do more of it. I go to a gym, which helps with mobility—or more to the point, when I don’t go to the gym it my mobility decreases. Anyway, I just wanted to write this so people can get a bit of hope, and realise that even after 8 years you can get better (and hopefully stay better!)

Hi and welcome to the forum. Great to hear your good news and hope things continue to remain well for you and best of health x

What a lovely, positive story. Hope reigns !!

Hi Rainshadow! I love your positivity and pro-active approach to your MS. I too am a Vegetarian, but could almost qualify as a Vegan. I have lived this way for most of my life and until this year have apparently been living with RR MS since 1995. For all these years, I have been leading a very active life as an endurance athlete- so escaped unharmed for all those years. I suffered my first major relapse in June and it’s the first time I have been unable to train. I’m now reading a book by Dr Terry Wahls called ’ Minding my Mitochondria . It’s all about the foods that we as MS sufferers should be eating and what we should be avoiding. This woman is a respected doctor, herself initially confined to a wheelchair by 2PMS. Yes, I have inherited a crappy set of rogue genes, but I’m convinced that my diet has contributed to my very slow demise. That said, following my forthcoming treatment and modifying my diet even further, I hope to be back training, as soon as possible. Well done for spreading the good news, (but make sure you’re including the important vitamins and minerals in your diet too!) xx

I am so pleased for you rainshadow. It is so good to hear someone who is happy with how things are going after 8 years.

I was d/x 8 years ago too and to be quite honest even though have made changes to my life I find my MS easy to live with now. It’s become a bit of a friend to me to be honest.

Thanks for such a positive post. Cheered me up.

Shazzie xx

I suspect your vegan lifestyle has played a large part in this. It’s well known that when your body is fed the right fuel it goes into ‘healing’ mode. It sounds like this is what’s happened to you. And also it takes time for your body to start healing after you have made the change, hence the 2 year time lapse. Your post is very inspiring. I’ve been diagnosed less than a year and ive just recently gone vegetarian but am looking to go vegan at some point in the future as I think it would really help the course of my disease. Thanks for posting, you’ve highlighted the positive effects that diet can have and making more people aware of this can only be a good thing. I wish you well and here’s to all your numb bits returning to normal! Lisa x

Hi everyone, just found this thread through a search on google. I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years now and have had MS since 2007. I am utterly convinced that my diet has played in a part in how I am, as although I have really awful days and have had a few horrible relapses, I am relatively ok. I have a couple of relatives with MS and they are suffering horrendously and one has only had it 3yrs. They are both big meat eaters. I recently made the decision to go dairy free for ethical reasons, and without a doubt I have noticed a change in my energy levels. It makes sense, as we are the only animals who drink the breastmilk of another, so we know it wasn’t designed for us! I make sure I supplement with vitamins etc and omegas (flaxseed). Does anyone know of any long term studies on the effects of vegan/vegetarian diets on MS, as I can only find individual stories as opposed to large group studies. I think if more people hear stories such as ours collectively, they may be more inclined to take a proper look at their diets and cut out all the foods that are no doubt exacerbating their symptoms. As long as any change in diet is managed properly and supplemented where necessary, I can’t see why more people don’t try the vegan/vegetarian way and see if things improve for them? x