GAPS?

Hi again, My latest research into taming this invisible beast has brought me to the GAPS diet and its underlying theory that many diseases like MS etc find theyre roots in the gut and its bacteria. Is anybody familiar with this theory. Has anybody tried this process of repairing the gut lining or is there simply a gap in my head where my brain used to be:P

When I was first diagnosed with ms my friend who is a scientist recommended I take msm, methylsulphonmethane. I had marvelous results however she told me not to overdo it as there is a toxic level (never stated on the meds when bought online).

My son also used to take them as she was interested in the effects on autism, my son is on the autistic spectrum.

My neuro used to be interested as I didnt relapse at first. Now Im no longer taking it Im back to relapsing. Coincidence, Ive no idea but I do know it has the effect of making the bloodworks acidic. Since I now suffer major gastric problems I dont know if its a lesion, ms damage or in fact the msm which caused it?

Its all experimental but originally the idea was to try kill any clamidia which may be present or plug the holes in the leaky gut theory.

I would try anything as youve nothing to lose. Keep us informed of your progress but if you deteriorate, please stop.

bren

x

Hiya,

I’ve just Googled this diet, and it looks pretty complicated, however, things are worth trying, it may work for you, even if it doesn’t work for others. My mum had MS too, and she tried a gluten and dairy free diet, it didn’t do her any good, the only thing it seemed to do was to make an already slim woman even thinner. But I’m trying the gluten free one just now, I’m going to give it 6 months to see if there’s any change in anything apart from my weight (I’ve been losing weight for no apparent reason over the past year, and I can see that being gluten free is just going to keep that going - at least I’ll know why though). Part of me hopes that it works, but a bigger part of me hopes it doesn’t! It’s tiring having to watch what you eat all the time.

I don’t think you have a gap in your head any more than any one of us, we’re all looking for ways to help ourselves, the thing is that because everybody’s different, and different things help different people, your search can end up being quite extensive…

Things I do that work for me - I go for hyperbaric oxygen once a week and reflexology once a fortnight, I’ve also found that I have a little more energy than before I cut red meat completely and cut down on saturated fats in my diet.

Hope you find some useful things to do,

Luisa x

yeah i think its goin to be a tough one, especially for someone who is very partial to the odd drunken trip to the kebab shop, but im goin to do it right. Ive ordered Dr natasha mcbrides book gut and psychology syndrome and im actually quite excited about my latest attempt to heal. Theres got to be an answer out there, really there is.

Yawn im not sure what MSM is, so i dont know what it has to do with the GAPS diet, did you try the GAPS? I’ll keep you posted with progress.(if there is any) I know its being wildly optimistic to think that this is goin to work miracles for me but why not, Ive got nothin to lose here.

Dont think i’ll ever give up trying to shake this thing and accept things the way they are, which some people i know think is a negative way to be. They’ll roll theyre eyes as if to say “dont be so f****n daft”. Me on the other hand, i think its a good way to be, always running towards the horizon hopin that one day you’ll catch up to it and then you can laugh

Raymond.

Sorry to be negative, but in my opinion all you have done is put money in the pocket of , Dr Natasha ??, by purchasing the book.

If the cure/prevention to MS was as simple as changing our diet, it would have been discovered many years ago.

But if you think it is worth a try, then go for it, personally I am waiting for the medical research profession, to find the answer, but also accept it will not be in my lifetime. So eating what I like when I like, is one of the few pleasures left.

Take care, and hope it works for you.

Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

yeah ive actually cancelled the order at the moment till ive read more about it, maybe i can get the info for free on the net, £16 is a big ask,How old are you chris? I sure hope the medical department come up with an answer soon. I just think that the medicine men are not lookin in the right places. The whole idea that treating the disease by influencing the immune system with drugs seems to be nieve, untill they find out the actual reason why the cells start acting strange i dont think we’ll be gettin anywhere. When the stem cells are ready i think they’ll be part of something good for MS patients

Oooops-thought this was going to be about teeth…or memory…

Ellie x

1 Like

Raymond,

Good for you - l have had spms for 30yrs - and l am forever looking into any diet/supplement/exercise that will improve my lot. Never taken any dmd’s. And other meds l have been prescribed in the past just give me terrible side effects - can’t see why l should make myself feel worse for little or no benefit. Do take LDN - and really do benefit from that. Recently, l have been interested in books by Barry Groves [ usually get them from amazon - cheap] his eating regime - which he has promoted for 40yrs - is the hunter/gatherer diet. No grain/bread/cake/bisc - lts high fat/protein low carb.

The diet Dr Terry Wahls advocates is a copy of the Barry Groves one. So l am trying to grow lots of kale/chard/spinach etc.

l shall certainly look into the GAPS -

You carry on keeping an open mind - be your own expert -

Frances

Raymond - me again - just wondered if you had looked at the ‘hookworm’ treatment.

I found this post during my research for a family member with MS. I am a Certified GAPS practitioner trained by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride and I wanted to weigh in here. I was hoping to find out if anyone has gone through the protocol and what kind of results they were seeing. Yes, it is a very time-consuming and difficult protocol, but I have done it for my own health concerns and it is definitely possible to do. Dr. Natasha has been helping her patients heal with this protocol for years so she decided to write a book and spread the word on how individuals can go through the protocol and heal themselves. The conventional medical model does not recognize anything other than pharmaceuticals or surgery as a possible cure, so it does not surprise me that more people do not know about this. What should be happening is all the major media outlets should be announcing that this doctor has cured her son (and many others) of Autism and so many other illnesses. Unfortunately though, that is not the way it works, but that is a whole different story.

Her book really explains how it all works and how the digestive system correlates with this autoimmune disease. By healing and sealing the digestive lining, reestablishing the proper microbial balance, and reducing toxins, you can start to reverse autoimmune responses in the body.

If anyone decides to do this protocol completely, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. If my family member decides to do it, I will absolutely report back on her progress.

In health, Lindsay

I found this post during my research for a family member with MS. I am a Certified GAPS practitioner trained by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride and I wanted to weigh in here. I was hoping to find out if anyone has gone through the protocol and what kind of results they were seeing. Yes, it is a very time-consuming and difficult protocol, but I have done it for my own health concerns and it is definitely possible to do. Dr. Natasha has been helping her patients heal with this protocol for years so she decided to write a book and spread the word on how individuals can go through the protocol and heal themselves. The conventional medical model does not recognize anything other than pharmaceuticals or surgery as a possible cure, so it does not surprise me that more people do not know about this. What should be happening is all the major media outlets should be announcing that this doctor has cured her son (and many others) of Autism and so many other illnesses. Unfortunately though, that is not the way it works, but that is a whole different story.

Her book really explains how it all works and how the digestive system correlates with this autoimmune disease. By healing and sealing the digestive lining, reestablishing the proper microbial balance, and reducing toxins, you can start to reverse autoimmune responses in the body.

If anyone decides to do this protocol completely, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. If my family member decides to do it, I will absolutely report back on her progress.

In health, Lindsay

Hi Raymond, I usualy try to avoid topics like this as its such a personal issue and everyone has very strong opinions. If you want to try the diet and see if it works for you as an educated adult then go ahead, if it becomes an issue for you in anyway, stop! I would ask you not to buy this drs book though. Any health professional who actively tells scared and confused parents of children with neurological conditions (autism, adhd etc) many of whom are desperate for answers and help, NOT to have their children vaccinated because it can disrupt gut flora and to find out how to make it all better to buy her book, is not putting the paitent first. This happened before in the 90s, and look at how that turned out with the current measles epidemic. I have taken you slightly off topic so I apologise, just wanted others to be aware of putting too much hope in false prophets. Sorry rant over. Good luck in your quest. Laura

Sorry just realised this a fairly old thread that’s been bumped up by the previous poster. Hope things did and continue to go well for you Raymond. Laura

This looks decidedly dodgy to me. I have a deep-rooted distrust of diets that cure everything, drugs that cure everything, treatments that cure everything, and theories that explain everything. I get even more distrustful when an MD comes up with a universal cure and then starts to make money out of it (buy my book, buy my products, buy my “training courses”, etc).

It does not take very long to find out that the GAPS approach has had a very bad press in some quarters, but does have a very effective marketing approach.

Otherwise, I think that Chris R has said it all. (Chris, have not seen you here for months. Relapse? Bad time?)

Geoff

If you rely on the medical profession to heal your MS you will wait forever. The ones at the top with all the money do all they can to surpress the cure. The only way to become fully healthy is to be your own doctor. Relying on doctors for anything is the ultimate in stupidity!

1 Like

Any diet that is so restrictive is very, very hard to adhere to. They can also be dangerous because they are omitting food groups that are needed to enable our bodies to repair & function properly. I am always suspicious of any diet that recommends supplements in them. A balanced diet should give all the nutrients & daily levels of vitamins etc that are needed for maintenance without the need for supplementation with non food groups. These diets can also cause malnutrition & have not been researched enough in order for them to be endorsed. If these diets were proven to work, then they would be recommended by the health care profession, they are not. This is not an opinion, it is fact. More research needs to be carried out, over many years & a study of a larger population of people to show any correlation. I am not ruling out the fact that 1 day something will be found, but diets like this 1 are fads & use vulnerable groups of people to sell their merchandise & make a lot of money in the process. My advice is to stay well clear of such dramatic claims, that have little proof of actually working.

i agree with Traceydc46 i tried the best bet diet and by stopping wheat, dairy, legumes (had to look that one up) i ended up eating hardly anything. it encourages oily fish, ok i have always liked fish but a bad experience with mackerel put me off for life. my son said i was getting too skinny and losing strength so i had a bacon butty!! that was soon after my diagnosis and i know better now!