Forum

Frankenstein tests...

I had my EEG and the EPs today. During the EEG I had a jerk which was monitored and videoed so they were very excited about that!

The EPs were slowish but not obviously out of range so the technician said (whilst ensuring I knew she had no legitimate right to say so!). What was interesting is that everything responded except my left toes which barely moved - the setting had to be up painfully high to get my little toe to twitch. I don't think this is anything to do with messages to the brain - anyone know about it?  It is, interestingly, the same foot which goes 'dead' briefly and leg which is sluggish/weakish/wobbly/struggles up the stairs.

On a good note it is only two days til the weekend comes round again thumbsup

Debx

Very similar result to my EP and similar issues with my left leg but I am also still waiting for the the official response from the neuro. However, I just got a call asking me to make an appointment for a lumbar puncture which I am sure is connected. In my own case I wonder if it could be a diabetic symptom of nerve damage as I was diagnosed with that a couple of years ago.

Good news about getting the jerk on record. Well done that brain for being so obliging happy2

Clearly it's not normal for anyone to have to have a painful stimulus to get a response, but I'm not sure it's possible to work out what's going on from that alone.

Fingers crossed you don't have to wait too long for the results.

Karen x

Hi Deb

I was dx with PPMS in Dec and had my EPs in June. I had a very similar response on my left toes. My EP report showed abnormal responses but what was particularly significant was the fact that my left,big toe would not twitch until the machine was turned up to uncomfortable,painful levels.

I assumed that this was owing to something wrong with the speed of messages to the brain, that lesions were causing that message to get there very slowly.

Anyway, thought I’d just share.

Teresa xx

Hi Deb

I was dx with PPMS in Dec and had my EPs in June. I had a very similar response on my left toes. My EP report showed abnormal responses but what was particularly significant was the fact that my left,big toe would not twitch until the machine was turned up to uncomfortable,painful levels.

I assumed that this was owing to something wrong with the speed of messages to the brain, that lesions were causing that message to get there very slowly.

Anyway, thought I’d just share.

Teresa xx

Hi MrB, Karen and Teresa, thanks for your responses. I see the neurologist on 11th April so not too long really. Does the EP stimulus send a message up to the brain which then comes back to the digits or straight to the digits or what? Four toes didn't move at all on very high painful setting but I can clearly move them myself, they're just stiff and slow sometimes. I think only my thumb moved on the left hand too as I didn't feel the other two fingers that are supposed to but I had my eyes closed so couldn't see. The right side all moved quite normally I think. I'd be a bit more concerned but the technician said my wave patterns looked good.

All very interesting if a bit bizarre. When do you see the neuro for results mrb?

Dx

Here you go: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1139906-overview

Kx