Foot-Up; drop-foot solution..?

Hi there

For all you who suffer from drop-foot, have you ever used ‘foot-up’ or any other similar devices to help?

Any other advice to help, such as medication (apart from ‘steroids’!) or exercises?

Many thanks

I have a FES (functional electrical simulation) which some people find works wonders.

My experience is that it is hassle to wear and I am unable to walk enough to use it, so am considering requesting physio to collect it and reissue to someone else in need.

Hi Clucker Pigeon!

I used a foot-up for a short while until wear & tear caused the ankle-pad to ‘collapse’. Then, whenever I tried to connect the foot-strap to provide some extra support, the ankle-pad collapsed and there was no tension in the strap supporting the foot …thus it no longer gave any support to the ‘dropped foot’ (…hope I’ve explained that OK?)

Since then I’ve been lucky enough to get an FES device. I use this whenever I go outdoors (…which Is only about 3 times paer week) and just use a walking-stick to help get around my small flat. As Ladyinred2000 mentioned, it can be a hassle to put on, but it definitely helps!!

Fampyra could potentially be a fabulous thing, but there are these issues:

Getting it on the NHS seems to be very hit-and-miss ( …depends on your location and/or Neuro).

Very expensive to order privately.

Doesn’t work for evertone.

I think I’d want it to be guaranteed to help me (wishful thinking, perhaps?) before I looked into getting it - presumably by trying it out first?

Best of luck with whatever you decide!!

Dom

I’m so upset I have had MS 3 years now and I’m only 32, I’m so scared that I’m not going to walk properly again, I’m trying everything physio, the gym, swimming and Pilates, but nothing is helping me and I feel so lonely as my husband, family and friends are all doing things that I can’t do and getting on with their lives and I just feel like I’m not going anywhere and got nothing to look forward to. I’m starting on the new tablet medication soon and I’m praying that this will help me as I’m so desperate to get back on my feet again. Has anyone got any advice for me?

Hi Clucker, The soulution depends on the type of foot drop. ie If you have a problem with calf spasticity which makes it difficult to flex your foot then the best solution apparently is botox into the calf. I am hoping to trying this soon. If the foot drop is purely due to weakness in your shins than FES is good, or a carbon fibre AFO (ankle foot orthotics). I tried FES but the system could only lift my foot the same as I do myself - ie it couldnt go further because of the tight calf muscle.

Regards

Moyna

Hi CP.

Foot-up? for me, this is in the Chocolate Fireguard league.
Very hard to tighten the ankle strap. Could be easier if you are young and flexible, otherwise it’s a no-no.
You must wear shoes with laces and qute a few laceholes as well (otherwise the shoe portion will move out of place).

So it holds the toe up, but does nothing else. I ditched mine after 24 hours. The third time I tried it, the ankle strap went straight down to my shoe, the tension went off, and my foot stayed down.

For me, the FES is the only thing that keeps me mobile.

Geoff

Hi CP.

Foot-up? for me, this is in the Chocolate Fireguard league.
Very hard to tighten the ankle strap. Could be easier if you are young and flexible, otherwise it’s a no-no.
You must wear shoes with laces and qute a few laceholes as well (otherwise the shoe portion will move out of place).

So it holds the toe up, but does nothing else. I ditched mine after 24 hours. The third time I tried it the ankle strap wend straight down to my shoe, the tension went off, and my foot stayed down.

For me, the FES is the only thing that keeps me mobile.

Geoff

Oh I meant to add also that you should ask to be referred to a neuro physio. They will have devices that you can try.Also get them for free.

Moyna x