flu vaccination

Can anyone give me their opinion on whether to have a flu vaccination. Obviously flu is bad but as a vaccine works by activating your immune system this cant be good if you have MS can it?

Prior to MS I’d never been a big fan of the American-style vaccinate EVERYBODY quickly against the flu. But now over here in Scandinavia they recommend all MSer’s get at least the swine flu vaccine, especially if they’ve a weakened immune system due to taking DMDs.

I believe (I didn’t see it myself) that it was on the t.v. either this morning or yesterday and it said that getting flu with multiple sclerosis can result in DEATH! I have had the flu jab many years now - It is not sore, (I’ll be getting it again this year). I have had the flu once before (with MS) and it is NOT NICE. Best advice (if you are not sure) is to make queries with your doctor. Marcus.

I found this yesterday about MS and the flu vaccine: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/429479_3 Definitely better to get it! Karen x

going for mine tomorrow dont like needles gulp :!:

I’m having mine this after noon actually I had one since my dx in 2006 my husband has to have one as hes my carer :slight_smile:

Yeah, my call up for the jab has came through. It isn’t a live vaccine (it isn’t the flu they inject into you) so there is no worry in that respect. Steffi

marcus1 wrote:

I believe (I didn’t see it myself) that it was on the t.v. either this morning or yesterday and it said that getting flu with multiple sclerosis can result in DEATH! I have had the flu jab many years now - It is not sore, (I’ll be getting it again this year). I have had the flu once before (with MS) and it is NOT NICE. Best advice (if you are not sure) is to make queries with your doctor. Marcus.

Anyone who gets flu can die, and it can trigger attacks with people with MS. I don’t think it means that were are all going to drop dead of we choose not to have the vaccine. Best not be to dramatic about these things.

I’ve had it a few times and not felt any side effects from it, other than a slightly tender spot where I had the injection. I had mine done on Monday and feel fine. I’d say definitely get it - having full-on flu could be pretty nasty. Dan

had mine now no probs would definetly recomend it though

Getting mine again tomorrow. I would definitely recommend it as I used to get so horribly ill with flu which would wipe me out for at least 2 weeks at a time and recur frequently. Since getting the jab, I haven’t had full blown flu since, maybe only a cold for a few days, if even that. I wouldn’t do without it now.

[a=200]I will be getting it again this year as will my hubby as my old GP said it was as important that my carer had it as me! :smiley:

Have ALL the vaccinations!!! Clare :slight_smile: