Fitness

Hi there. My 1st post so please don’t blame me if I have made mistakes.

I am a 47 years old male who has SPMS and am trying to keep my mobility as good as I can. What is the best way of doing this in the home. I can walk with the aid of a walking stick but not very far and need to have sit down down after a few minutes. I also get very dizzy due to my optic neuritis. I have a good neuro physio but wondered if anyone on here has any ideas?

Thanks for reading this.

I have joined a gym in last 2 months. I walk with a stick and can only manage short distances, I have started to do 10mins slowly on treadmill plus 10 mins on powerplates. Today I walked without a stick about 100m…

Hi

You could try getting a Pilates DVD. I expect a lot of the exercises you do with your physio will be based on PIlates stuff. As it’s all about core strength and stability it will help with your balance and walking. I make sure I do my exercises from my physio most days, and I’ve also got a dumb bell to do a bit of weight training for my arms. I can do that sitting down, and it helps to get my heart pumping which the physio stuff doesn’t.

Dan

Hi Billy,a couple of years ago I had a bad motorcycle accident and when I came out of hospital I could hardly walk,the physio said it was the MS and not the accident causing this.I went out and bought a treadmill cos you can set them on slow and you have two handles to hold on to.After a bout a month of using it;probably a few times a day,my walking improved considerably.Only trouble is they’re big and I had it in front of the window in the living room so I ended up selling it.I then bought a cross trainer but after a couple of minuites on that I was worn out and couldn’t do owt else all day,my daughters now got it in her bedroom.To be honest i regret selling the treadmill cos my walking’s not good again but they’re big and it’s having somewhere warm with easy access to put them.Talk later,Dave.

Hi Billy Whizz,

This website has some good tips about exercise. Sally Gunnel has just made a good DVD for people with MS - it’s free from the MS society.

Quite complicated to find so use this link.

http://www.mssociety.org.uk/what-is-ms/treatments-and-therapies/exercise

Keep well,

Jen

I have an excercise bike, and have built up to 4 minutes twice a day, i also do pilates based excercise which helps me a lot too,

my neuro physio showed me how to do them, and they have helped me gain some strength back, becuse i was stuck in bed all winter last year .they are really easy to do and dont leave you exhausted, infact if i do them before getting up, it gives me the strength to stand for longer,i did them under her supervision to make sure i was doing them right, for a good few weeks, you could ask for a session from your gp.

jaki xx

I have an excercise bike, and have built up to 4 minutes twice a day, i also do pilates based excercise which helps me a lot too,

my neuro physio showed me how to do them, and they have helped me gain some strength back, becuse i was stuck in bed all winter last year .they are really easy to do and dont leave you exhausted, infact if i do them before getting up, it gives me the strength to stand for longer,i did them under her supervision to make sure i was doing them right, for a good few weeks, you could ask for a session from your gp.

jaki xx