Facial/head pain-long sorry

Ive not been on here for a while but I’m looking for some advice. Ive been bothered with neuropathic pain in my whole leg for a while now-not on any meds as the side effects were getting too bad .A Few days ago i started with a numbness in my face that covers nearly half to 3/4 of my whole head and scalp the numbness developed into pain on the first day and has got steadily worse dont know if its related to my leg pain ,just my M.S or something completely different. Iphoned GP on Fri but first appt i can get isn’t till the 30th- I’m planning on phoning for an emergency appt first thing tomorrow. Im taking max dose paracetamol,brufen and am even being a bit naughty taking a couple of hubbys tramadol every day and that just takes the edge off of pain. The pain is bearable on wakening but gets worse as the day goes on. Ive thought it could be trigeminal neuralgia but im not getting the electric shock type pain and mine is constant.nothing makes it any better or worse Its affecting my eating ,drinking and cleaninng my teeth and ,although i can tolerate a lot of pain,its really getting to me. A number of years ago i had some numbness at the back of my head that took ages before it went but that wasnt painful Spose im just hear really for support.sorry for being long winded but no-one knows MS like someone who has it and family dont really understand,hubby keeps telling me go to the GP but i dont think GP will really ne able to help

Please get that emergency appt. with your gp. You should not have to constantly suffer with this pain if you can be given different meds by him/her. I hope to hear that you have seen the gp very soon. x

Pain killers like paracetemol have no effect on neuropathic pain. You will probably have upped the dose to the max but get little relief.

There are other medications for neuropathic pain but you often need to tinker with the dosages/types because of side effects. Don’t dismiss your GP’s ability to help – if you don’t give it a whirl you’ll never know.

With regards to TN – there is an atypical type that is not electric shock but constant so it may still be this.

Jane

Well saw GP this morning and she called in another GP as not fitting usual patterns.one said thinks its trigeminal neuralgia the other thinks just my MS.ive to call MS nurse which ive done but waiting for her to call back. I was given prolonged release carbemazepine to take twice a day (never been on this before so fingers crossed) and amitriptyline to take at night(have been. Onbefore but stopped due to side effects) was so pleased to try anything as its getting unbearable Yeah paracetamol and brufen do nothing for neuro pain but taking them in case they help if any of the pain due to other reason and GP has told me to continue. Thanks for the replies Janey xxx

Glad you’ve got some meds to help. I don’ t think it will make much difference if they label it TN or just a random MS thing, treatment will be the same. Either way, you’ve got nerve pain presumably caused by your MS, which nerve it affects I think is irrelevant for what you can do about it.

Hope you get better soon.

Glad you’ve got some meds to help. I don’ t think it will make much difference if they label it TN or just a random MS thing, treatment will be the same. Either way, you’ve got nerve pain presumably caused by your MS, which nerve it affects I think is irrelevant for what you can do about it.

Hope you get better soon.

Hi Janey

I’ve been looking back over some old posts, searching under “head pain” and came across your original post from 2013.

Did you ever this sorted? What was the outcome?

I’m very interested to hear. I hope you pick this message up.

Thanks, Richard