ESA

Help me please everyone.

I think I might apply for ESA. It is contribution based that I would wish to claim. I would hope that I would qualify for the support group. So I have a few questions.

How much money would I get a week?

It seems to talk about a lower amount for the first 13 weeks, is this correct and then I’d go on to a higher amount?

is the money backdated to the date I first make the claim?

is the benefit taxed?

do I need to give financial information on the form or is that just if you are applying for income based?

is contribution based ESA based on Ni contributions I have made and not means tested at all?

if I qualify for support group is the money paid indefinitely, I mean, can I (subject to having to re apply from time to time) stay on it for life.

Thanks

Cheryl:-)

I think if you look at the nidirect website you will be able to find the answers to your questions.

1 Like

Try: Employment and Support Allowance - Citizens Advice

I hope this helps.

Hi Cheryl,

I think ESA Payments are -

Basic Allowance - Single/lone parent £71.70 pw

Couple £112.55 pw

Work related group component - + £28.45 pw

Support group + £34.80 pw

Dated 2013/14

Benefit is Means tested and depends on your NI Contributions.

Work related group is when yu still have regular assessments, Support group is when you are assessed at the start, but they may review your case if reuired.

Also they did have plans to replace this when Uniersal Credit comes into place.

I hope this gives you an idea, but contact the benefits helpline or MS helpline, they can confirm correctly.

Regards, Andy

Here are some of the answers that you havn’t already had

is the benefit taxed? "…Yes

do I need to give financial information on the form or is that just if you are applying for income based? "…The initial form esa1 has some financial questions but they only need to go in depth if you have insufficient NI contributions.

is contribution based ESA based on Ni contributions I have made and not means tested at all? …If you have an occupational pension this is taken into account ( first £85 p/w is disregarded and then the benefit is reduced by 50 p for every £1) savings and partners income is not considered for contribution based, just pensions

if I qualify for support group is the money paid indefinitely, I mean, can I (subject to having to re apply from time to time) stay on it for life. …providing you continue to meet the requirements for support group you can continue to claim until you reach state retirement age

Jane

£74ish you need a doctors certificate to say you can’t work, they will do form over phone. Good luck. Ps it is paid every 2 weeks £144.80.

Hi again Cheryl, I got my award for 3 years and as already stated here my occupational pension was taken into account. I got that coz I retired on the grounds of ill health. The whole lot is added together and is taxable as normal after deducting your tax free allowance. Your contributions are also paid during the award so as long as you keep qualifying you should get it. It is only pension income which is taken into account. If you are claiming income based in addition to contribution based if, for example you don’t have any income, you should get around £168 a week. Do you get DLA or PIP? Anyway we can chat about it, you have my number on PM.

Gary

Please do not do the ESA50 on the phone. It’s ok to do the esa1 which is black and white factual - date of last work NI number etc but when it comes to the very important ESA 50 which determines the points you are awarded (and will ulimitatley determine which group you go into) it requires time and consideration which is just not possible dictating to someone on the phone. The form is downloadable and you can do it a bit at a time, saving off onto your computer in the interim. I would advise you to join the benefits and work website ( about £20.00 a year) they have excellent guides to help with filling in the form.

Jane

Contribution based ESA is taxable, but it does not necessarily last forever (if you are in the work-activity group it lasts for 12 months, but if you are in the support group it is not time-limited: Employment and Support Allowance (ESA): What you'll get - GOV.UK).

Income related ESA is not taxable: EIM76186 - Social security benefits: Employment & Support Allowance: Taxation - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK