Forum

Enlarged Spleen and MS

Hey all,

I was diagnosed years ago with having enlarged spleen before all this trouble with my MS started to get worse :slight_smile:

Just wondering what peoples thoughts about that being a symptom of MS as the spleen is also related to the immune system.

Interesting what PB has to say.

My reaction (before reading that) was it’s very unlikely to be a cause OR symptom of MS, but may be related at some level, because certain diseases show clustering in families where MS is present, and even in the same individuals, which could mean the genetic propensity to MS is shared by these other conditions.

I found Hodgkin’s lymphoma (one of the diseases that tends to cluster with MS) is a possible cause of enlarged spleen. Now, I’m not suggesting for a moment that you have lymphoma - if you did, I’m sure it would have been found.

BUT, I found it interesting that MS has been statistically linked with at least one condition known to be associated with enlarged spleen.

But the other thing that cropped up is that sarcoidosis can also cause an enlarged spleen. Sarcoidosis is one of the differential diagnoses of MS, and can present in very similar ways. I do not want to cause fear that you may have been misdiagnosed, as I don’t think it’s really any more likely than undiagnosed lymphoma.

It was just another interesting coincidence.

Tina