DVLA, car insurance and stuff

For those that are still reasonably fit and able and have no problems driving, have you told the DVLA and your car insurance provider?

Told them what?

That I have a little friend with a pointed red hat and a fishing rod sitting in the back seat, or that my neuro has advised the DVLA of my condition…?

You need to inform the DVLA about your MS or risk a £1000 fine. Insurance providers need to be told too (no increase on the premiums though).

It is Law to advise the DVLA of your diagnosis. Also without advising your insurance company they could refuse a claim owing to not advising them.

Be very careful and legal.


Most helpful. Thanks for that,…not.

Hi CJ,

As the guys say, you must contact DVLA, they will send you a form to complete where you tell them that despite your MS, at this stage you are fit to drive and provide them with your Neuros details. They will then contact your Neuro to obtain a report from them that backs up what you said.

Then DVLA will provide you with a new driving license which is short term, for renewal every 3 years and you must, as George said, inform you car insurance provider, so that their records are up to date and legal.

It is a wee bit of a faff about, but got to be done!.


I advised the DVLA straight away, I also told my insurance company that I am changing my car to be classed as a disabled driver so that I get free road tax

I told the DVLA when I was first diagnosed in 1999.

Told them in January this year that I now need to think about hand-controls in a vehicle as the condition has progressed.

No response as yet (expected a 3-year restriction as mentioned previously) and I’ve phoned DVLA a couple of times to see what’s going on? The answer appears to be “b*gger All” as no written/telephone response received to-date.

Well, I’ve decided to assume my old driving license remains appropriate until I hear otherwise.

Lord knows I’ve tried to play the game, but if the other side can’t be bothered…


I was diagnosed in 1986 and told DVLA strai

Yes. Told Dvla, because that’s the law. Told insurance because there’s no point paying all those premiums when any serious claim would likely be invalidated on account of non-disclosure and I don’t want to be bankrupted in the case of an accident. I have enough problems. Alison x

Yes - do inform the dvla - then when you fill in your insurance forms you can tick the box that says ‘dvla informed’ - ln 30yrs l have never had any problem with getting car insurance. l had a restricted 3yr licence for a while but now back to normal. You have to agree to them asking your gp for information. ln my case l can only drive an automatic as it is my left leg that is the problem. So my licence states that l can only drive a vehicle adapted to suit my needs - ie hand controls or automatic.[ with of course - the obligatory nodding gnome in the back - what meds is he on!!!]


I didn’t inform initially as I was doing really well, and I honestly don’t think I heard the consultant properly as I’m sure he told me I didn’t need to inform the DVLA. When I did finally get around to it I had a nightmare, didn’t hear anything for ages and then I got a lettetr to tell me my license was revoked as I was cognitively not aware enough to drive. I was pretty shocked, turns out a locm consultant had read my notes and filled in the form without speaking to me or even knowing me. I once mentioned when I was really tired I had forgotten things (who doesn’t?). Ended up having to really fight to get my license back (relying on friends to take me to work as a nurse and be responsible for all those things at the same hospital who thought I was cognitively unfit to drive!) Luckily when I got my license back (restricted to 3 years, surely so they looked like they did it for good reason), my insurance company were fine (I nearly offered to kiss the person who told me it wouldn’t cost me any more!).

There are a lot of car accidents because of drunk driving. States are cracking down on drunk driving. DUI and DWI laws across the nation are becoming stricter and being enforced with greater diligence. Thus, drunk driving is a serious offense and can have different consequences depending upon where you live. It had happened with trooper David Bertholf has been arrested by Washington State Patrol troopers for driving under the influence, hit and run and then eluding the police. You’ll need an auto insurance to provide you financial protection against physical damage and/or bodily injury resulting from traffic collisions and against liability that could also arise therefrom. The specific terms of vehicle insurance vary with legal regulations in each region.