Forum

DVLA; any PPMSers out there not told DVLA?

Apparently the onus is on us, as MS sufferers, to inform DVLA, but I got the impression this is more for RRMS folk rather than us (due to their common vision/sight problems). My neuro, MS nurse and GP have never mentioned anything about it, and I now find that freqeunt clutch work is starting to get tricky. Maybe I need an automatic? Do I need to tell DVLA? Thanks as ever for any help. On a slightly different note it’s the footie tonight, so at least that offsets the oestrogen-fest that is weekend telly (X-factor, strictly, downton etc etc) these days. Weather grim, so a night in of Andy Towsend, Clive Tydlesley and a host of sporting cliches, bliss…

Well Clucker, I think it was only reason I knew was from what I’d read on the internet… you’re right tho, a GP I saw did mention it to me but only AFTER I’d spoken to DVLA.

For me personally, I hadn’t driven for a while before Dx and I knew something was wrong cos I shut my eyes when someone else was behind the wheel! My husband was anxious about the idea of me driving as he’d seen what a mess I made of planting one foot in front of the other! With the rotten vertigo, it just seemed easier to surrender it. My GP was clearly relieved he didn’t have to supply a medical for me, when I told him he congratulated me on my decision.

That aside, if I was driving, an automatic would seem by far the better option.

I have to be honest, I believe you do need to inform DVLA, they have a medical team set up. You could maybe speak to your GP first if you’re anxious about it :wink:

Sonia x

ps. I don’t really care what’s on the telly, I just want sleep… and lots of it! x

Sonia: watching England huff and puff against Macedonia tonight will send you to sleep quicker than a bucket full of baclofen

We are obliged by law to inform the DVLA, regardless of the type of MS and failure to do so could invalidate your insurance. I have driven an automatic for years and they do make the whole process much easier.

While I think Townsend is a fine player with loads of potential, this year he is trying too hard to be Bale and needs to stop cutting inside on his left foot every time and scaring the pigeons. My personal preference is to avoid Clive Tyldesley by turning the volume down and listening to Radio 5.

Enjoy the game and let’s hope we can stay awake.

Hi as yet I have no firm dx - although I do have a neurological problem with only my right leg - dropped foot etc. anyway 2 weeks ago I got an automatic car with a left foot accelerator. It is easy to drive but once or twice when I have gone to stop suddenly my left foot just goes hard down (as if still pressing the clutch) and my right leaps towards the brake. But as the left is now the accelerator I lurch forward which is especially bad. I just cant stop the instinct as the left foot has operated the clutch for 30 years. It is just unsafe so after spending £500 on a left foot accelerator I am now waiting for the car to be converted to hand controls at another £500. It it was my left with problems then I would be OK on a normal automatic.

Moyna xxx

I had to change to an automatic, the DVLA have always been helpful - I have to complete some forms and I get 3 years at a time. I’m in the middle of requesting another 3 years, fingers crossed. They send enquiries to your GP and Consultant, as long as I am seated I can dance a jig! Don’t recommend this while driving thoughM

I was worried as I had to inform them about MS, spinal cord injury and they wanted to know what meds I was on. I’m on maximum Gabapentin, Amitriptyline and Morphine so I thought they’d take my licence but they wrote to my Neuro who assured them I was capable and alert and they gave me the 3 year renewable like the rest of you.

I’ve a weaker left side and chose to drive an automatic but could manage a manual if I really had to so didn’t declare I needed automatic. It is so much easier to drive though. As my right side is stronger it doesn’t need altering. Best decision ever. I live in a tiny village with nothing, not even a shop or post office so it would have been devastating to lose my licence, so I don’t think you’ve any worries.

Cath xx

I notified DVLA of my diagnosis,12 months later they sent me to our local driving test centre for a driving assesment for which I obtained straight As. I was then re-issued a license for 3yrs but lost D1 and C1 entitlement. Peter

My licence was up for renewal in January 2013, duly sent off with medical notes. My doctor was late returning his form, he said March - they said April, from then to September 30th I knew nothing, but rang regularly. Licence revoked Sept 30th, my doctor had ticked the wrong box and said I had problems with my memory (aaagh). He then immediately posted a fax saying I wasn’t doolally (in his opinion not my husband’s :-)) It took 4 days to reach the right desk in DVLA -this was a fax. I was then told that it would have to go to the managers and they are working one month behind. My doctor then phoned and had a dr2dr call and he was reassured that all would be fine and I should be hearing from them immediately. During this later period I was phoning the DVLA every day. I discovered that I will have to re-apply but “it’s good that I do not have to pay, provide my medical evidence or photo”. The re-application process may take 3 - 4 weeks and the pack and letter arrived 4 days after my doctor’s call. I cannot understand why I have to re-apply - my details are exactly the same as they were in January, except that my hair is a bit greyer. My doctor is very apologetic but I’m now forced to discover what a joy it is to be driven to work by a grumpy other half who just cannot appreciate the lovely cobwebs in the fog, the sun on the autumn leaves and any other drivers come to that! Poor me.

How awful Kath and all because of a wrongly ticked box. Good luck getting it back and surviving grumpy.

Cath xx

Hi I’m new here, I was DX with PPMS in May 2009,. It was my dad that told me I had to inform the DVLA about my MS, after a while they decided that they would put my licence to every 3yrs. My licence was up for renewal on Oct 2012, took my doctor & DVLA 14 months to sort it out, I finally got it back this year on the 4th October, after many calls to the DVLA. I think most of the cause was my Doctor as he kept saying I had something wrong with my eyes, which I didnt, then they kept sending the forms back to me with silly questions on the form, I tols them I decoded to use an automatic car as it was easier on my left leg, but I could still drive a manual if needed. I was starting to get worried until I received it. I had a letter from the DVLA saying I could drive, so still wondering why it took so long. Sorry if this was an essay.

between my dr & the DVLA took me 14 months to get my licence back, the only thing I had from the DVLA was a letter to say I was able to drive, Sent me for eye test, then to the local test centre, to see if I could read a number plate from 60ft, then all of a sudden got it back for 3yrs. Totally confused

I had to tell the DVLA soon after diagnosis, now i have to have a driving review every 3 years. I need my car so my children & i can get out and about, so im fine with that for not only theirs and my safety but for other road users too

Hi I’m new here…Informed DVLA when I was first diagnosed in 1995. Have a ‘normal’ licence valid until I am 70. (I am 51 now). I do have CODE 30 on the reverse - which if I remember correctly means that I can only drive a vehicle with adapted brake/accelerator. In other words Hand Controls.

With this in mind, I think it will be up to me to tell dvla if (and it might not happen!) I consider my ability to drive safely is compromised.

Hope this makes sense.