Do I retire//

Hi everyone - sorry not been on for a while, but really need advice on this…

In brief, I am at the point of considering ill health retirement. MS has reared its ugly head (big time) and I don’t think I can carry on. I am a Teacher (full time). Any advice on how I start the ball rolling? Thanks.

Hi, I retired finally on 31.5.15. (Diagnosed October 2013) I was told by the county’s OH doctor on my third visit (Optic Neuritis problems) to not go back to work. I was a SENCO in a primary school and the stress and strains of the job meant my PPMS symptoms had progressed fairly rapidly. My NUT rep was involved from the start and negotiated the six months full pay until TP got their act together and granted me my pension. Make sure you have every doctor’s letter you’ve ever had to send to them, they need so much information. My original HT (unfortunately moved schools at the beginning of last year) was brilliant. She organised the visits to the OH doctor and came with me as well. You will need all the support you can get!

Get in touch if you need any help or support.

Carolyn

It’s a looooong time since l retired from teaching but I think the first thing you need to do is go off sick. I was off sick 12 months (6 months on full pay and 6 months on half pay) then l got my ill health pension and my employment was terminated. Carolyn has much more recent experience but l think it is impossible to go straight from working to ill health retirement. You need to be off sick first.

Jane

I retired from teaching in 2012. You are entitled to 6 months full pay/6 months half pay. It was worked out that my pension came into effect as soon as my sickness entitlement ended and not a day before! This also means you get as much as you can out of your pension as you’re obviously paying into it whilst getting sick pay. I was granted the higher tier which means I won;t work again (I have PPMS)

When it’s time to make your application (maybe 9 months or so from now if you’re not off sick at the moment) send copies of every letter. As Carolyn says they need so much evidence. I also got my neurologist AND GP to complete the application form as well as the OH doctor. Everyone has a slightly different slant on the questions. Then keep copies of these as they’re useful evidence for DLA/PIP/ESA!!

Sarah x