disabled bays

Surely your husband is able to recognise that if you pull into a disabled parking bay, a blue-badge needs to be on display?

Does he not realise that you suffer from ‘brain fog’ and therefore cannot be relied upon to remember to display the badge?

Just curious and well aware that there are many circumstances that I simply don’t think of automatically.

Thank you in anticipation of your patience with me

Dom

To be fair to my husband, he is busy taking out baby seat putting up pram, getting baby out making sure our eldest is on path etc. I’m sure he could remind me (and often does) but generally he’s doing everything else and when we’re rushing to get to an appointment or the like its something that has been missed. As I said earlier we have had, and paid, fines to this count.

I relay on my husband in innumerable ways. I’ve had MS since I was 19 (over a decade ago) and he has been by my side the whole time.

the point I’m making is that the presumption can often be ‘well they’re not disabled’ which is frustrating enough when people who are ignorant to ‘invisible’ disabilities make comment but I think it is even more so when it comes up from people who should know better and have probably faced prejudice themselves.

2 Likes

[quote=Hopeful]

On one occasion I parked in a disabled space and went in to B&Q, finished my shopping, and returned to my car which happened to be an automatic Mazda MX5 with hand controls. I was sitting in the car and a couple went past, commenting on the type of cars they were allowing “cripples” to drive nowadays. When they had gone into B&Q I wrote a note which read, “When you have MS you may wake each day with the hope that today you might just feel great and get through the day with no pain. You, on the other hand, are going to wake each morning for the rest of your life, look in the mirror, and see a total fuc*wit looking back at you”. It may have been childish but God, did it make me feel better. Actually it was a good outcome for them as my 17 stone, 6’6" son had something totally different in mind.

[/quote

That made me laugh! No, not childish at all but well deserved. Did they also think you had a hearing problem?

Mags xx

2 Likes

Well done - there’s something very satisfying about fighting back - and nothing wrong with throwing in the odd swear word!

1 Like

I have noticed that one of the staff at our doctors surgery parks in a disabled bay. I took a photo a few weeks ago, but did nothing as it might have been a one off. Yesterday I had a meeting there because I am on the patient participation group, yes the same car was parked in the same bay. Today we looked as we drove past…and yes it’s parked there still.

The practise manager told me yesterday that with 10,000 patients it is impossible to know which ones are disabled. I raised a concern that wheelchair patients are given appointments upstairs when there is no wheelchair ramp if there is an emergency. I asked fo the disabled evacuation procedure but she didn’t seem to know of one.

So…they treat their disabled patients really well. Send them up in the lift with no means to escape a fire and park in their bays.

I arrived at the local GP surgery recently to find that both disabled bays were occupied by an AAH Pharmaceuticals van! As we approached the door, the driver was coming out. When I challenged him, his response was “it’s not illegal”.

I ask you, with ignorance on that scale, what chance have we got??

1 Like

lift? my doctors didn’t even have a lift, they had all the ante natal up there as well, so difficult for mum s to be as well, I have changed doctors now the doctors used to park in the disabled space (which was extremely difficult to get in anyway).