Disability campaigns: interesting discussion

Hi gang, this is very interesting. It’s a BBC Radio 4 programme that brings people back together who have done something in the past.

This one is disability campaigners talking about how they campaigned for changes in the law in the 1970’s bringing about the protections we have now…and also how much more there is to do.

Some interesting stuff…for instance I had no idea that the campaign for equal employment rights and making building accessible was started in the USA by Vietnam veterans injured in the war. Also hadn’t realised how much William Hague had done to help bring in new laws (yes even a Tory can be a good man).

Pat xx

3 Likes

Sorry link doesn’t work…this one should…Pat xx

Thanks for the link Pat and I will have listen later on. I was aware the Major Government introduced the DDA in 1995, and this was considerably strengthened during Blairs time, but a little background history will explain a lot.

2 Likes

I have listened to the programme and it was illumunating.

The Vietnam vets would certainly have more political clout in the USA compared to the disabled in the UK who, even now, are often thought of as a bunch of work-shy benefit scroungers. Our caring, We’re all in it together Tories, seriously believed that cutting the ESA by £30 per week would be just the fillip required to stir the work-shy into action. Dear God.

Many things have changed for the better, especially in places of work, but there are still problems with access to buildings, especially old, historic buildings used for cafes, for instance. From what I read, it is still difficult to use buses and trains without careful planning. I doubt if taking a spontaneous trip using public transport is a breeze.

I have always had time for William Hague as he appears to be genuine and matured into the role of Foreign Secretary, acting with a certain gravitas. We should forgive him the baseball hat days. All the contributors spoke well and it was a very good forum with intelligent, informed discussion. It’s a good series.

Best wishes

Alun

2 Likes

A timely reminder of how hard good people have fought in the continuing struggle for equality.

Anyone remember how Thatcher prevented those disabled in the Falklands War from taking part in the victory parade?

2 Likes

Crikey whammel, I had no idea M Thatcher denied this honour of the victory parade to those disabled during the Falklands War. Allowing only the uninjured, unharmed service men and women to walk the Victory Parade, minimised the realities of War. It was a disgraceful decision.

3 Likes