Forum

did i go for a walk or a scoot

Our mates are back so we went for a walk, was I walking? I dunno and why do I feel so scared?

Read about my days walk here

http://disableddon.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/walking-in-wheelchair.html

Scaredy cat Don

Great blog Don and raises so many issues.

I would say:

A) Yes it’s fine to still refer to it as ‘going for a walk’. After all the expression ‘going for a walk’ actually means much more than walking. It means getting out without having a specific place to go… getting out just to enjoy the fresh air and the sight seeing but without, say, going to the doctor’s or the library. So ‘going for a walk’ is what you do even if on scooter or in w/c.

B) You really really really need to get yourself a new scooter. It’s no good being on a scooter that you are frightened (with good reason!) of falling off of. Get yourself a bigger. 4-wheel scooter that you feel completely secure in.

C) No you are not a child. You are a disabled man… very different from a child… and MAN being the operative word!

Take care and have a good day,

Pat xx

2 Likes

Hi Don

I’m with you Don, I am always referring to going for a walk, which simply to me means going round the park with my grandchildren, going for a “wheel” doesn’t sound right!

Reading your blog you are obviously scared of the scooter you have, if I were you that one would be binned, and a new more stable one would be taking its place. My two neighbours (both mid 80’s) use theirs regularly for shopping, going to Church etc, and from memory I think they are called Sovereign Shoprider. Here we have a chap who runs a mobility business, and he brings various scooters for home trial.

You go for it Don, get your confidence back, I know you can do it.

Pam x

1 Like

Hello Don,

It’s a walk! I’m just grateful for the chance of freedom. When I go out onto the Ashdown Forest it’s a tramp, only because my scooter is a Tramper. I will stroll up to town or scoot up to the doctoers. I sometimes fly, wander or trundle but mostly my wife says I ramble.

Best wishes, Steve.

2 Likes

Cheers folks, I really do need to start saving for a new one but so much other stuff draws my attention. Tomorrow I chap I know is coming to help me with the website I hope to build. That’s far more fun than getting a scooter I hope I can build a directory of local businesses to help Promote Thanet which is the name of My blog.

Let you know how I get on.

Don

1 Like

Don, just a thought, if you are on the higher mobility rate of DLA, or whatever it is called now, then you can purchase a scooter through that scheme.

Pam x

2 Likes

I know Pam but I already use that money for something else

Long term plan maybe Don?

Web site first…I’m sure your lovely Heather will push you a bit longer…then maybe a new trolley…I bought mine on eBay, very good price and it’s great…actually it might have been gum tree or preloved or some such … Its not what you need, I don’t use it often but it’s tiny and folds up to go in the car.

I sometimes dream about an all terrain one so that I could go for the odd “walk” in the Forest of Dean…hey ho…must check my husband did the lottery!

Nina x

1 Like

Nina some of the prices are crazy and people pay them. I saw one advertising a disability scooter more expensive than our car how do they people sleep it could have been purchased half of that price in some places. Rip off Britain’s at it again…

Don

1 Like

There’s always somebody that finds a way to pull a fast one, it’s so depressing.

I was lucky with my little scooter, I’d researched the model I wanted then was lucky enough to find an almost new one at a fraction of the normal price. It was fairly local so my husband was able to go and check it out before we parted with any cash.

My husband came across some sort of scam the other day…I’ve been sitting here trying to recall what it was, sadly it’s gone from my old shredded brain, but whatever it was I do remember it was ingenious. Sad that so many people think that is a good way to earn a living these days!

Hope you have a good day today,

Nina x

1 Like