What is yor neuro’s recommendation?
If they’ve just said, ‘You can have either, Hayley, up to you,’ without telling you what they think is the best thing for you then they need shooting, in my view. That’s what they’re paid for, for flip’s sake, and it’s an important decision - it’s not like you’re choosing which lipstick colour to go for…
OK, sorry - rant over. It’s just I do get a bit narky about hightly-paid, qualified and experienced people failing miserably to fulfil their responsibility to advise patients. Leaving people to choose between the first line DMDs is one thing - their risks and benefirs are much of a muchness, but Tysabri is a different matter.
My personal experience, when Avonex stopped working, was that the neuro recommended Tysabri, carefully explained why (alarmingly active and damaging MS), and said that if I did not want to go down that route. Copaxone was also an option. So it was my decision to go for Tysabri (which I did) but I had a clear steer on what the experts thought was best for my MS. I needed that to reassure me that taking on the additional risks of Tysabri (small, but very serious) were, on balance, worth it for the stronger effect it tends to have on keeping MS at bay.
If I were you I would tell your neuro to get off that fence before he/she gets piles and tell you what he/she thinks you should do.