Counselling and mental health

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is good. Just wanted to know how everyone copes with MS emotionally. As in does it affect your mental health? If anyone does counselling, is there a specific service that is there for MS patients? Please reccomend any good counselling services, it is much appreciated. Thanks

2 Likes

Talk to your MS Team. The emotional effects of having MS will be a well-trodden path for them and they’ll have the connections to refer you to the right people.

1 Like

I have, but they suggest that emotional effects are not MS related and that only GPs can help in this area.

That’s an astonishing response. I’m sure they’re not all that hard-headed.

Guess you’d better follow what they’ve said and go back to your GP - not least to report the awful way you’ve been treated by the MS Team. If you read articles by Prof G and elsewhere, management of mental state and maintaining positivity are essential components as we stand up to MS.

3 Likes

Thanks for your help, I will do.

Hi there did you manage to find any help or counselling. I feel that I need it myself so would appreciate any information

My consultant once told me that MS can affect the happy part of the brain and I got support from my GP - I take vensir antidepressants to help regulate the chemicals in my brain - counselling is very good for getting out in the open what you are feeling but sometimes it takes a tablet to help you on your way - good luck

The National Multiple Sclerosis Society offers a free, confidential counseling service for people living with MS and their loved ones. The counseling service is staffed by licensed clinical social workers who have experience working with people with MS. In addition, Riviamind can provide emotional support, help with problem-solving, and offer guidance on coping strategies. They may also offer online or in-person support groups, which can be a valuable source of emotional support. It’s also important for individuals with MS to take care of their physical health, which can have a positive impact on their mental health. This can include regular exercise, a healthy diet, and getting enough sleep.
2 Likes

Is that the USA site?

Hi :smiling_face:

After my diagnosis I had a delayed reaction to it (about 8-12 months later)

I was struggling…felt reckless because I thought I didn’t have much of a future

I had 6 months of counselling with time to talk and it really helped me

I now accept my situation, but I don’t let it define me

I hope you find what you’re looking for and that it helps you xxx

Hi for all!

Dealing with MS can indeed take a toll emotionally. I’ve found counseling to be a game-changer. In my experience, communities like this one (Stress management: How to manage and reduce stress) have fantastic resources, including counseling services tailored to our needs. Don’t hesitate to explore what’s available. It’s been a supportive lifeline for me.

1 Like