Cipralex 10mg - depression

Hi folks - trust we are all keeping as well as possible - I had a bit of a rough time at Christmas, with a relapse and felt in a deep hole of depression…so I started on 10mg of cipralex and it has brought me halfway out of my hole at least…was down with my neuro last week and he said that some of the plaques on the brain can stop our “happy” moods and i should go to my GP and have a good chat about which anti-depressant is best for someone who is affected by depression because of MS. He mentioned effaxor but I’m un-sure what to do or am I destined for a life on happy pills, I don’t mind taking them but side effects can be noticiable, with weight gain / loss of libido etc & a couple of previous appointments with different GP’s left me cold, with them handing me the 1st tabs that they could get, just to get me out of the surgery. So i made an appointment next week with a different GP, to hear her views…I am on copaxone which can lower the mood, according to neuro & take LDN as well…Any views, advice, kicks up the backside, would be appreciated…

Hi, I’m on 15mg of cipralex for anxiety and depression. I always ask if its related to the MS but I’ve always been told no. In my opinion I couldn’t function without it and it just keeps my moods level. It especially helps to get you through the nasty relapses. With regards to weight gain, most psychiatric meds are relate to weight gain but I think it’s mainly because they give you cravings for carbs and sugar. If you can be strict with yourself then you should be fine. I will be on these pills for the rest of my life and I’m ok with that, whatever it takes to keep me ticking over and feeling more positive. All the best to you Lisa x

Thanks Lisa - much appreciated…