Chest infection type pain/ache

Hi everyone I’m pre-official diagnosis and have a variety of the typical symptoms of MS. One that I’m currently having a big issue with I’m not sure is MS related as I can’t find anything of a similar nature on the web. I do not sleep well as in I wake up often so can be extremely tired in the afternoon and will sometimes need a nap. The problem is that sometimes I wake up from the nap feeling very very chesty. My chest, in the centre and above my bra line aches very much a bit like I have a chest infection or a bad cold, or run for a bus in the freezing cold. It almost aches to breath too. It can takes weeks for this feeling to die down. I slept for about 1 1/2 hours on Boxing Day afternoon and I’m still hurting now. It seems to take a good while to shake it off. I can’t find anything like this online. I wondered if it was a symptom of oversleeping per se but this was sleep I physically needed, I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I only seem to get this if I sleep during the day. Does anyone suffer anything similar or know what it could be? Thanks Bella

hi bella

you should see your gp and get it checked out.

you will probably get a gp referred hospital appointment where they will check your heart and x-ray your lungs.

if for no other reason than reassurance.

also you could ask for modafinil or provigil to help you stay awake in the daytime.

contact your ms nurse too.

carole x

Hi Bella,

Could be a derivative of the MS Hug.

MS hug or girdle effect

Why does MS cause the hug or girdle effect?
This is a spasm-type symptom that is one of the more unusual effects of MS. Between each of our ribs are tiny muscles called intercostal muscles. These hold the ribs in place but provide flexibility at the same time. If these muscles go into spasm, the result can be uncomfortable or painful. This is sometimes referred to as ‘banding’.

Effects
People with this symptom of MS describe a burning or tight sensation which spreads around the rib cage, causing a crushing feeling that can range from uncomfortable to very painful. Sometimes it is accompanied by pins and needles. Most commonly felt around the ribs, occasionally the effect is experienced in the hands or feet.

Treatments
Individuals with MS who experience the hug or girdle effect do not always have the same degree of intensity of pain. For some, it is no more than an uncomfortable feeling, which passes without the need for any treatment. Others, however, need pain relief to deal with the spasm. Analgesic cream, warmth and painkillers are all used to provide relief. Your medical professional will discuss how best to manage your pain and will bear in mind any other drugs you are taking

George

Hello Bella, welcome to the forum,

I agree with Carol, you should discuss this with your GP, neurologist or MS nurse. One thing my MS team have always told me is this: Do not put new or changing symptoms down to your MS, always see a medic, let them decided what it is.

And try to avoid Dr Google. Very difficult, I know, but leave it to the professionals.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Ben