buggies and wheelchairs on the bus

A landmark court victory was announced today.

A wheelchair user in Leeds took First buses to court because he was left behind when a mum refused to fold up her buggy because the baby was asleep.

The court ruled that First’s policy of “first come first served” for the disabled bay was discriminatory and that the wheelchair user should have priority for the space.

I too have been left behind when a mum refused to fold up a buggy. I know that we have debated this before – with views on both sides but I am delighted that the drivers will have a bit more muscle to ensure that I am able to use the only spot on a bus that is suitable for me,

Jane

Hear, hear, Jane.

Hi,

I use the buses in Leeds almost every day and have found the drivers and pushchair owners really gd.

I think this case brings shame on the person who would not move out of the way as their child was sleeping.

I suppose that someone could still stand their ground on the bus and refuse to move, it will be interesting to see how First change the wording of the wheelchair policy.

As an ex-buggy user I can’t believe this even had to go to court! I would never have taken a disabled spot over a wheelchair user, even if baby was asleep. Just pick baby up - chances are they’ll stay asleep - and ask someone to kindly fold the buggy for you if your hands aren’t free. Just good manners really. X

I’m sure the majority of mums would not have dreamed of leaving behind a disabled person just because the baby was asleep! I used to bring my son home after a day out, he would fall asleep in the car, I could change him and lay him in his cot and he’d never bat an eyelid.

I’m really pleased the Court ruled in favour of the disabled. Hopefully this will send out a message to all the bus companies and their drivers will be more confident in applying the rules in favour of wheelchair users.

Tracey x

Quite right too! There’s little point having a “disabled bay”, if disabled people don’t take precedence, and it can get clogged up by whoever gets there first. The pushchairs are collapsible for a reason! I know it’s a pain to have to collapse them (I’ve never had kids, so I’m not too sure how I’d manage with them on the bus), but if it’s a case of something that CAN be collapsed, being so, so that a disabled person can get on, then they should have to accept that.

I don’t view this as a lot different to selfish people taking up a seat for their luggage, when they can see other passengers standing. Why do people need to be asked to remove their bag, so somebody who has paid can sit down?

Tina

x

Buses !! AGGHH !! In the early days of my MS I had to use them all the time.I can recall only one person EVER giving up a seat for me in the space of about a year.It was an elderly man with a walking stick ! I use a mobility scooter now so I’m not allowed on which is fine with me Kev

society has lost its manners!!!

we should go back to teaching manners

carole x

[quote=“kevkerekes@yahoo.co.uk”]

Buses !! AGGHH !! In the early days of my MS I had to use them all the time.I can recall only one person EVER giving up a seat for me in the space of about a year.It was an elderly man with a walking stick ! I use a mobility scooter now so I’m not allowed on which is fine with me Kev

[/quote] Hi kev i am a scooter user and mine is small enough to get on and off the bus with i have been out this morningto the small village next to mine and i used the bus with my scooter.

Its called an aquasooth and falls within the dimentions laid down for buss acsess.

Saying that if i have an appointment somewhere i always go for an earlier bus as i have been told i cant get on because there is a buggy in the space or another wh/chr user, i had to get a scooter pass so i could use this, an inspector brought a bus to a stop near me i had to proove i could get on and off safely and take a pic with me he then gave me a pass to show drivers so there was no problem with them saying you cant bring that on.

I hope this is of some use to you and every one else,i saw the news report last night and cheared, but i can see both sides ,as mums with pushcairs who are allready on the bus and have paid the busfare expect to get to their destination without disturbance.

Barbara.xx

Hi, when I was on holiday in Filey recently, we used the bus twice.

On the first bus, the driver couldnt have been more helpful and kind.

On the return journey, the driver was nowhere near as amenable. The bus was fuller, but my sis asked the driver to pull the ramp out to let me on. he replied very curtly with Theres a pushchair in the disabled space. YOU ask her to move it AND she doesnt have to if she doesnt want to`.

Fortunately the woman was very nice and did strugggle to lift the baby out, fold up the buggy, shopping in hand, my sis helped her. So once aboard I headed for the space and there was an elderly woman next to where the buggy had been. She had a large square shopping trolley, which prevented me from getting my wheels tucked round.

The driver then activated an electronic arm, which comes down to keep me inside the correct place. He shouted at me, Get into the space properly! I couldnt and said, I cant, There is a shopping trolley here. Driver yelled, Well it HAS to be moved. The little old lady didnt know what to do, so my sis lifted it`s wheels and tucked them nearer to their owner.

Do you know, I felt so awful…in the way and to make it worse, I had to sit facing the other passengers. I wanted to crawl into a hole and sidle away! This isnt Boudicas usual way, is it?Im glad I dont use the buses regularly, but I realise other folk in wheelies, have to.

Hope your journeys are better!

luv Pollx

Here here Carole. I was at work when a colleague (teenager) asked me to do something. I asked her “what’s the magic word” as she never uses please or thank you. What was her reply “I don’t have to say please to the likes of you” There seems to be very little respect for our fellow human beings now. So sad as I was always told “good manners cost nothing”.

Hi Dinks, so did you do this young upstart`s bidding? Oh dont I sound old?

luv Pollx

Yes Poll I had to customers first and foremost and I am the only qualified (in that a hold of piece of paper that says I am!) to dispense what was required. Unfortunately this person believes there is only two ways of doing things - her way and the wrong way. Oh that life were that black and white with no shades inbetween. Youth is wasted on the young.

Inni da troof!

pollx

In my early days of using the bus I had quite a few similar misadventures with surly drivers and other passengers in the way. Given half a chance I would have packed it in and never used the bus again. Unfortunately I live too far away from the shops and the bus is my only option. So I developed a rhino hide. If the bus drivers are b*strads I don’t let them get to me because I know 95% of them are nice and helpful. I used to be nervous of other passengers too but now I ask them to get up and stand in the aisle until I’ve parked. I find that a clear direction works better than “excuse me” People under estimate the amount of room that a wheelchair needs and will just move their feet to the side unless you are clear. The wheelchair spaces on the buses are tight. My new chair (a mid wheel drive) is much more maneuverable but you’ve got quite a big chair Poll it won’t be easy to get it the right place.

Facing the other passengers is horrible. I use my ipod ear buds to cut me off from the crowd. Above all you mustn’t feel awful – using the bus is your RIGHT and if anyone else is slightly inconvenienced by it then tough!

I was in a similar position a few months ago. 2 buses couldn’t let me on because of prams. After half an hour I gave up and called a taxi. I was fuming!

In my early days of using the bus I had quite a few similar misadventures with surly drivers and other passengers in the way. Given half a chance I would have packed it in and never used the bus again. Unfortunately I live too far away from the shops and the bus is my only option. So I developed a rhino hide. If the bus drivers are b*strads I don’t let them get to me because I know 95% of them are nice and helpful. I used to be nervous of other passengers too but now I ask them to get up and stand in the aisle until I’ve parked. I find that a clear direction works better than “excuse me” People under estimate the amount of room that a wheelchair needs and will just move their feet to the side unless you are clear. The wheelchair spaces on the buses are tight. My new chair (a mid wheel drive) is much more maneuverable but you’ve got quite a big chair Poll it won’t be easy to get it the right place.

Facing the other passengers is horrible. I use my ipod ear buds to cut me off from the crowd. Above all you mustn’t feel awful – using the bus is your RIGHT and if anyone else is slightly inconvenienced by it then tough!

[/quote]

I use the same method too and agree it is better to take charge if you are able to do so. I too ask them to move down the bus whilst I park , although normally I get on at the terminus so there is no need!