Because it matters

Karen, you’re the type of person that feels you have to help as many people as possible. You burn yourself out eventually.

I’ve been on forums for twelve years and on this one from the early days. It didn’t exist when MS was first mentioned to me.

In the early days someone called Carrie use to answer a lot of posts too. Sadly Carrie stopped posting. A few others who were diagnosed answered questions but not many.

At one time I became concerned that newly diagnosed people weren’t receiving enough replies or help and tried to bump there posts up. I would often suggest they posted on everyday living to get more replies.

Karen, you can’t take everyone’s problems on your shoulders. I know you do a lot away from the forums too. You’ve been a wonderful friend to me and offered to drive up here to help me out. That shows the kind, compassionate person you are.

I’ve had to step back from the forums more. I’m pleased you’ve posted this. I see how much you try to help people on here. I know from your emails what else you do. I’ve actually worried about how much you take on. It’s time to take a breather and concentrate on you for a change.

Jacqui xx

Hi Karen Just wanted to reiterate what everyone else has said. You have been sorely missed and we will be glad to see you back. I will try to help on ND and bd to the best of my ability and experience, which is small and recent. Please return but take a step back from what you were doing. You need to look after your MS too. Love Teresa xx

Morning Karen, it’s really nice to have you back, I know for me I look at you’re posts with interest, because unlike some of the professionals you talk a bit of sense, and yes you’re right we should where we can help out, you take good care, ((((((HUG)))))), Jean x

Hi Karen

love and Best Wishes to you. You have helped me a lot in the past. I have been reading the boards for quite a while and even though i have not posted frequently - i have been a quiet member reading your replies and learning a lot.

I sometimes have sat back and not replied to posts that i could help with as i have thought that i may give the wrong information and that i do not have the knowledge to do so. I think a lot of us are guilty of this as we think people like you will come along and give the best answers so we have just sat back. Lazy i know - but true.

You have made me realise that i can help with some posts and i should do so and stop leaving it to people like you all the time. I never go on newly diagnosed but will do so now.

I think user02 has made some good points also. Perhaps to lighten the load and to be kinder to yourself you may need to choose certain areas to reply to and leave other issues. You can’t help everyone Karen, even though everyone really appreciates you - taking on so much is going to wear you out.

Thanks, you have given us the kick up the backside that we needed!!! lol!!!

Teresa. x

Everyone has said what I would but still want to add my thank you for everything you have said to me and others.It has made a big difference to me.

Take care

Pip

When I was diagnosed last January, you were there with very positive advice when I felt far from positive.

I mostly lurk on the boards now, but you (and Poll) always have positive, sensible words. You are very much needed on the boards. x

I pop into the new d board sometimes, and have to admit i have thought Rizzo will be along to answer them soon, and left it at that as i know how brilliant you are at helping others in threads- as you have been to me on many an occasion, thank you for sharing honey and for reminding me angels can only carry a certain load before their wings are to heavy to fly, I hope we can all be a good help to those that need us - after all we are all experts on our m.s, and know that we are always there for you as well

BCxx

Hi Karen xxx

As you know I came on this site in a right ‘state’ in early February xxx

It was you (and others) who were the ‘voice of reason’ - who gave me those ‘words of wisdom’ that helped me through the worst xxx

I still get my ‘moments’ but I have taken a leaf out of your book and I try to respond to as many posts as I can. My responses however are mostly just to show support as I don’t have the knowledge to do otherwise x

Yesterday though a couple of other ‘newbies’ actually posted a new topic to thank me!!! It made me feel humble - I cried terrible xx

Reading your post above also made me cry terrible!!!

I watched the post - that for some reason seemed to unfold into a ‘battle’ - with horror! I found the whole tone of it upsetting and so unnecessary - so I can only imagine what it felt like for you who was as always trying to help xxxxx

Anyway now I’m rambling! Basically I just wanted to say thankyou - from the bottom of my heart for all you do xxxxxxjenxxxxxx

hi karen

Im sorry that you’re having a horrid time of things right now. I tried to help on here but i felt that i had no right to stay here as neuro had told me it was ME. Although ME doesnt quite fit for me i felt that i didnt belong here, it may be that i do belong here but wont find out for a few more years.

what im trying to say is sorry for letting you down and leaving you to shoulder it all practically. I will come back and try and help, lots of people are diagnosed as ME and then later MS arent they, so that should be my reason for staying to help.

Having said that, i do still worry that it will become your life again which, however important it is (i know how important it is and agree with all of the points you have made, they made me cry) its not as important as you and you cant do it day in and day out and not have time out.

Please take some time out every week, if you dont i fear we will lose you forever and no one wants that. we want to know that you’re ok too !!

The thanks do keep coming though because thats the only way people can repay you, you may not want them but we have to try and give something back to you because you never ask for help or advice ever!!

take it easy and make sure you book your annual leave( you get eight weeks a year!!) lol

lots and lots of love

mandy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Karen,

I am so sorry to read about your terrible time. You have been such a valuable contributer on here, and I know that I for one have been helped so much by your wise words. I wish you the very best of luck.

Hugs & love,

Moira

Dear Karen,

I am so sorry to hear of your terrible experience, and I just wish to repeat all the glowing compliments that you have had. Your knowledge is second to none, and has certainly helped me enormously on several occasions.

Best of luck to you,

best wishes,

Moira

Hey Karen

It reminds me of when I first came onto the MSS forums six years ago, and I went straight on to the ‘just diagnosed’ page. I was more or less redirected to EL by some of the folk almost straight away. It is great what you are doing but I really don’t think you should feel obligated to be a rep on the page - not to the point that it has come to anyway. Nothing is stopping ND and Limdolanders coming on EL to get info from the ‘fully paid up’ should they feel they need it…

Steffi xx

Hello Karen,

I was told in September that my MRI showed lesions, suggestive of MS. Diagnosis in November (was very lucky to have Private neuro appointments and tests, so quick diagnosis (compared to so many others). I began reading posts on this site when MS was first mentioned. For the past 7 months I have been reading the forum and have learnt so much; not just about the conditon , symptoms, test etc but also how to deal with this condtion emotionally, explaining it to others in my life, pratical/financial advice etc, the list goes on and on.

I have felt like a bit of a stalker; reading posts nearly everyday but have not regisered to the forum unil now-( didn’t think I had much to offer but have learnt so much from you all.) I read the post that lead you to decide to give the forum a break. Firstly, I would like to say that I don’t think the origional author meant to offend; electronic communication can so easily be misinterpreted, due to the lack of tone and absence of facial expression and body language. Secondly, and far more importantly…you need to now how valued your advice, coupled with your clear knowledge of this condition is very much appreciated and needed.

Your knowledge and understaning helps so many; as all the other posts have mentioned and I understand you are not doing this for thanks. You give your time because you are passionate about helping others and sharing your knowledge and experience.

I have in the past been the one in my circle of friends to give advice, listen etc when friends have been struggling. Due to my symptoms, stress etc during and atfer diagnosis, I was unable to do this. As I am coming to terms with the condition and during phases of not feeling too poorly, my friends have started to confide in me again, ask for advice etc. This has made me feel better, more like my old self. I have realised whilst I have helped them with issues in the past, they helped me…its nice to be nice and rewarding to help others.Its a win, win situation. i guess what I am trying to say is; your advice is enormously appreciated/needed but it is clearly a part of who you are.Please don’t lose that.

Take a well deserved break, reflect and then please do come back!!!

TAKE CARE,

Clare x

you have been feeling down Karen. It is good to offload how you feel and I am so glad you have been able to share how you have been feeling.

Caring and sharing for others can be draining and we all need a break from it…so in future I think we should have a KAREN monitor to give you a nudge if you have been on a ‘wee’ bit to much.

You always get those who aggitate others even when good is being done…ignore them Karen they are nothing but little ******** with nothing better to do with their time.

I love it on here when people rally round…thats family for you.

Much loved and cared for

xx Maria.

I am sure Karen has been very touched by all the messages of support and thanks that she has received.

But let us not forget her final sentence and go onto New Diagnosis (and the other boards) and offer help and support whenever we can.

Spot on as ever Anne - the support has been really lovely (and unexpected - thank you everyone!), but the thing I really wanted was to remind everyone on EL that they have the experience and the knowledge to potentially make a big difference to the people on the Limbo forum (and, as you say, the other boards too). And that’s an incredibly rewarding thing to do.

Thank you

Karen x