Asking about MS

I think you are correct in staying quiet about it until the person themselves approaches you.

I am newly diagnosed and I was open about the diagnosis as I was off work for a while and we have a tight-knit team. However I do kind of see why people might keep it quiet. My co-workers have been fantastic and treat me normally. However, HR now act as though I am made of crystal. It’s so annoying. It’s great that they are supportive but the HR manager can be a bit over the top about it and actually draws attention to me through her concern.

I would be really annoyed if someone outside of my team or management came over to me and said they heard I had MS. I would feel as though I was a topic of gossip as I think my MS is on a need to know basis. I’m ok with certain people knowing but I don’t want it to be the topic of office gossip.

I don’t want people watching me walking to see if I can, or judging me.

So while some might keep their MS quiet for fear of finding themselves a subject of discrimination, I would think many others would just prefer to deal with it themselves and ask for help when and if the time comes.

Doesn’t this contradict your last comment Pat?

Tracey x

The phrasing of the sentence may have been incorrect. i meant if anyone outside of my team or outside of management.

Management know as I told them. I was working here when I was began having symptoms and when I was going through diagnosis also. So I didn’t keep it from the team I work on or from my immediate managers or my HR manager.

There are other teams here (not managers) and some people who I haven’t told. I said I wouldn’t like it if one of them said they’d heard I had MS as I’d feel like I’d been the topic of gossip and feel that people knew and were watching me to see how I was.

If it’s illegal for a manager to ask, then it’s illegal for the OP to ask so case closed, he shouldn’t mention it.