Are you a Wahls Warrior?

Hi

Diagnosed in 2013, still good in 2017. Put it down to my lifestyle (and not taking DMDs). I’m always on the search to find ways to slow down any progression with the goal of being in long term remission. My diet is mainly paleo - I’m not strict but I am mindful what I eat. I am very positive, I also meditate and try to do yoga every day, at home - using a brilliant app (called Yoga Studio), and I also practice intermittent fasting.

I recently purchased “The Wahls Protocol Cooking for Life” book. I haven’t made any of the recipes yet but I do eat a mixture of raw, organic, steamed veg, fruit, a little meat, mainly fish diet, no sugar. I must say that going through my journey I’ve learned a lot, e.g. that I should eat every 4 hrs or my gait/walk is affected - I suffer from lethargy. It really makes a BIG difference. Within minutes of eating a meal is the difference between a strong walk and a floppy walk

By changing diet and lifestyle Dr Wahls went from wheelchair to walking and she has shared her findings in her book. Here is a YouTube link to her story:

“Funny” thing is, I have found that, many doctors, when they themselves have an issue they don’t practice what they preach to their patients! They look for alternatives.

I was wondering if others have changed their lifestyle, etc and it’s helped their symptoms? Please share…

Hello Ms Fuzzy.

It is nice to read of other people’s positive experiences, especially from those who have been treated more harshly by this bugger disease than some / most others.

I am convinced that there is tremendous value in maintaining a positive attitude, even when to the extent of being in a state of proactive denial!

I myself have adhered to the Swank way of dieting, and have also taken up the Tecfidera habit, both at around the same time, subsequent to the always motivational diagnosis of MS.

I have remained relapse free since this time and although some fuzzy feelings flare up occasionally, they are short lived and mild in nature.

Do i attribute this current level of success to the DMD or the lifestyle change? I cannot reasonably suggest either to be cause. And frankly i do not care. So far so good as the motto goes.

One thing i do know, is that my ‘cleaned up’ diet has given me a life with more energy and less lurgy… colds and flus are short lived and my overall level of pep is always pretty good (although getting up in the morning can still be tough). None of this are supposedly attributes of taking Tecfidera and so the dietary change i think, can be the only cause.

Those that live well with MS, will live well with MS.

Hi Fuzzy-feet,

My lifestyle was changed quite radically when declared myself bankrupt, I lost my home to the money lenders, my sole source of income disappeared and I got optic neuritis all in the same year.

Not having a proper bank account, or a mortgage but plenty of time with physiotherapists, doctors, consultants, neuro-physiotherapists. continence and MS nurses has made my life considerably less of a worry than ever before.

I’ve got Primary Progressive and there isn’t a book that’ll teach me how to eat my way out of it.

Regards,

John

6 Likes

Whilst I am pleased for anyone who manages to be the best they can, living with MS, changing their diet, lifestyle etc, I do find it difficult to get my head round the fact that once one’s mobility is shot, it can be turned around to walking again.

After all we cannot re-grow badly damaged and useless nerves, can we?

Pollsx

6 Likes

I am so glad that the ‘like’ button is back.

A

x

2 Likes

Not yet Poll, but I live in hope for those who come after me.

John

Me too chuck, me too.

Pollsx

And as someone on another forum pointed out, one of Wahl’s publicity photos shows her sitting in a power-chair with her legs crossed, wearing an Ankle-Foot Orthosis over her trousers.
What she does not mention very often, is the electrical muscle stimulation treatment she has.

Any scientist will tell you that you do not introduce two variables - and then make claims that only one produces an effect.

Now ask any anthropologist when the Paleolithic era was, and you will get told that is lasted roughly from 2,500,000 years ago up to about 8,000 years ago. In other words: the Stone Age. This was of course followed by the Bronze Age, the Iron Age, and the so-called Industrial Revolution. Humans have evolved a lot since the late 1800s, let alone 8,000 years.

The diet that suits me would not suit a Masai nomadic cattle herder, or an Australian Aborigine (for example). Either group could adapt to a modern European diet, over a period of some time. Until someone arranges this as part of a controlled study, speculation about the effects must remain as just that - speculation!

Any diet has its fanatical proponents - and you speak against it at your own risk!

Geoff

10 Likes

^^like!

(Yes I know the like button is back, but this warranted voicing too!)

How many 'ologists does that make all together?

A sock full

i think it comes down to giving yourself a chance.

too often people want the quick fix and charlatans abound, claiming to have the next big ‘beneficial food type’ / miracle cure.

but there just seems to be common sense in using common sense. a diet of slop burgers doesn’t lend itself to a positive prognosis.

It seems to me that Swank can be reduced down to simply reducing / minimising saturated fats. Just cutting out dairy alone, allows you to be almost completely compliant.

2 Likes

Well, I guess you’ll never know until you try. It’s not so much “a book” teaching you but I was interested to see if others had benefited from a change in diet as Dr Wahls (and I) have.

For those who may be interested in self induced remission — I received positive IMs from other members — check out the Roger McDougall diet.

1 Like