Not having viewed the clock, I haven’t a clue (not that it sounds as if seeing it would help much!)
Yeah, I agree with you the BRAMS area was a bit run-down, though I think I found it more spacious and airy than the former one at Frenchay, which I found a real heartsink of a place.
I still feel we’re being treated as second-class people, with an unglamorous second-class illness - not being included in the main hospital complex. And I’ve still got mixed feelings about being lumped together with dementia - not that I’m prejudiced against that, as one of my most longstanding friends was diagnosed this year.
But in practical terms, it may all be a blessing in disguise, as the Brunel building is certainly not winning any accolades from staff and patients, whatever its architectural merits.
I’m glad your dad is doing well despite the shortcomings of the hospital itself. I suppose outcome is the main thing, although you still don’t expect to have a more miserable time in hospital than your condition itself dictates. Sounds like he’s got a pretty good GP!
Thanks for asking about the Gabapentin - bit of a long old story (sorry!) - here we go:
The idea was I was going to try again, but titrating up to a higher dose (i.e. the “proper” dose that most other people were on in the first place).
Well, I know the NHS are keen to cut down on drug waste, and if I’m honest, I’m not keen on waste either, so when the proposal was that I would start titrating up with the 100mg tablets I still had left, aiming to reach nine a day, I didn’t mind taking so many, because the plan was that once we knew how that was working out, I could switch to the stronger 300mg tablets - so back to just three a day. Fine!
But my GP and I, despite neither of us being silly (I don’t think!) didn’t do the maths about just how quickly I’d run out if I started taking so many more. So towards the end of last week, I was on six a day, and realised I had ten days’ left at that rate, even if I didn’t go up any more (and you know what my pharmacy has been like - ten days is already cutting it fine!), so I needed a telephone consultation urgently, even though I hadn’t yet got to the full dose, so couldn’t report how it was.
Rang up to find my doctor is on hols all this week (even though she’d asked me to book a phone consultation, she hadn’t mentioned she was out any time soon), so had to book a call with one of the others.
All went OK, and she’s prescribed me 84 of the 300mg tabs, so 28 days at three a day. Still titrating up to that. Yesterday took 700mg - four of the old 100mg tablets and one of the new 300s at bedtime. Will do the same tonight, then go to 800 tomorrow (two new tablets, two old). Couple of days at that, and if no ill effects, I’ll go to the final 900.
The downside: I know I’m still not up to the proper dose, but so far, I still don’t think I’ve had any benefit. In fact, if I’m having to analyse whether I have, mustn’t the answer be: “No”? If I was feeling better, wouldn’t I know without having to think about it? If I’ve got to rack my brains to tell, any improvement must be marginal at best.
And one thing that concerns me is that certain things might be a little worse. I’ve had joint stiffness for quite some years, which my neuro has always dismissed as “not MS”. Yet oddly, since I got up to 60mg a day of Baclofen, I have not noticed it as much, so I think it was something to do with muscle stiffness placing an extra burden on the joints.
However…last few days, my knee joints are unmistakably stiffer going up and downstairs. Now I know you should always read the patient information leaflet before starting, but I deliberately didn’t, because I didn’t want to scare myself silly with all sorts of horrible side-effects, and end up not taking them. I decided I’d only look up side-effects if I noticed anything unusual. So after a few days of this joint stiffness, and telling myself it’s probably unconnected, I look up the side-effects.
Guess what’s in there? Joint stiffness! Coincidence? Who knows? But I’m now a little concerned it could be causing pains instead of solving any. I’ve not given up yet, and will persevere to the end of the trial (remembering to leave enough time for weaning off).
But early indications aren’t encouraging. I’m up to 700 of 900 now, so feel I should be noticing something positive. But I’m not - and possibly a few negatives. 
T.
xx