MS Society UK | Forum

Anyone diagnosed with Sjogren's AND MS?

I’m scheduled for a CT scan in 2 weeks as a follow up to a suspicious spot found on the MRI during my December relapse. It’s on my salivary gland and could be cancerous, although they say 80% are benign (and that’s what I’m holding onto right now!).

Anyway, the more I read up on it, the more it seems that this is common with Sjogren’s, which is something I’d considered before my MS diagnosis. I’ve always had the dry eyes and mouth, and my teeth have rotted badly in recent years in spite of having no real issues most of my life.

I’m not doubting my MS diagnosis, but I’m wondering if there’s anyone out there who has both.

Hi Norasmum

Not sure if this is any help or not but here goes.

I have had MS for many years, but about 5 years ago was diagnosed with RA as well. This year at my yearly eye test the optician told me the reason my eyes were constantly running was due to dry eye syndrome, and that it appears with lots of people who have RA.

MS and RA are both auto immune so I suppose it is possible.

Hope this helps.

Pam x

It does help, Pam. Thank you! I know that many of us wind up with more than just MS, and i’m willing to grasp at any and all straws here. It’s the waiting game that’s always so hard. They’re now calling for bad snowstorms here, so I don’t even know if I’ll be able to get to my upcoming appointments.

Keep safe and warm, and I hope that the roads will be nice and clear of snow and ice when you need to go to your appointments. Fingers crossed that the spot on your salivary gland is benign.

I don’t have an MS diagnosis but do have dry eyes (yes, the watery eyes dry eyes). And a dry mouth too. These things creep up on you that you just think they are normal until you get to a point where you realise that they are not!