any teachers out there?

Hi evefor.one,I haven’t been on here for a while. Been trying to find a balance between family/work &MS. 2 disastrous part time jobs later I am none the wiser. My question is-; are any of you Primary teachers who have been able to cope with teaching and manage your MS?

Im hoping to go back to teaching even job share would be great.

Theresa

hi teebird

i was a primary school teacher and loved it.

then a change of head and the appointment of a few intense characters led to a total change of atmosphere at the school.

i applied for a post of advisory teacher for inclusion.

i loved that post also but then it began to be changed, got far too stressful, i got my diagnosis and was medically retired.

so it’s not possible to answer your question, who knows if i’d have got ms if still in reception class?

access to work can help put things in place for you to continue working.

i’m sure that you will manage with the right support.

good luck

carole x

Hi teebird

im not a teacher but I’m a teaching assistant in a special needs department the students in my class are aged 11-15 so I’m not primary but my job at times can be extremely physical like physically removing a student from a room or the floor to the calm room! I can no longer do this part of my job so I open the doors. my work colleagues have been really understanding and help me out where they can. I have had a few days off work lately with fatigue and they have also been really understanding about that too. I love my job and I’m not ready to give it up yet :slight_smile:

Hi teebird

i am a secondary school teacher and a middle leader working full time. My school has been great and access to work have provided a support worker starting next week.

I am managing just about but I have to be sensible!!

I have a list of what to accomplish each day and once that work is done then I don’t tackle the rest of the never ending jobs!! I try to finish school between 3.30 and 4 and start by 7.45. I can then go and get some rest and then complete any other work in the evening. It is very tiring though and by Friday I am shattered!!!

You can do it and I do think part time would be the way forward but mak sure you are sensible and rest when you need to x good luck!!

Thank you all for your feedback. I hear what you are saying Carole, the school itself and the attitude and support of other staff matters a lot. Em3a and Shurrell I have heard of Access to work and tried using their help last year but the employer was unwilling to engage with them.

Sometimes when I feel good I aim too high like applying to restart my Induction and have it finished by the end of June, crazy. I was nearly applying for a jobshare post but stopped myself. I think I need to rebuild my links with schools by subbing work and then I will know how well I cope.

I have also started getting support through Work Connect. I have a lovely support officer who meets me every week to discuss options and ideas. One of her ideas is that she will contact local schools to get me doing voluntary days with children who need extra support academically. She believes it will build up my confidence, help me learn to manage my fatigue better and create more links with potential job opportunities. She is also looking for a local Mindfulness course for me.Its so much better feeling I am not fighting to get back into work on my own.

Being Hopeful

Theresa

I teach primary full time. My husband works 2 part time jobs that fit (mostly) around my hours and allow him to do most of the housework. Couldn’t manage otherwise. Certainly without the holidays to recuperate the job would be completely unmanageable.

I’m currently considering exit strategies as I can’t believe I will be able to teach for another 25 years (retirement @ 67 - now that’s a joke). Will miss the actual teaching and (most of) the people. Won’t miss paperwork, parents or perpetual changes!

I that employers don’t have any option BUT to engage with Atw. Pls check this

Good luck Fluffyollie xx