Any teachers out there? Am applying for a teaching job 'with MS'...

Hi

I’m a qualified teacher and am thinking of going back into teaching, but not sure if my PPMS will cause problems. Have just applied for a job and did not tick any of the illnesses boxes, as I’m not that bad…yet.

Would love to hear any advice or stories from any teachers with MS out there, or from anybody that knows any.

Many thanks,

Pigeon.

Gosh, no one then; it seems.

Odd.

Hi,

I was a teacher in a special school when I started having problems and was referred to a neurologist. Unfortunately I never got back to work. After my diagnosis (PPMS) I tried to go back to school, the idea was to do a long phased return over a half term. I started off by doing 10am to 2pm where I was merely observing in the class and had an hour for lunch. I went home and slept for 3 hours! My main problems are with fatigue and mobility

It was a job I loved and my GP thought I was mad for trying to return but it was a process I needed to go through as closure I suppose. To cut a long story short I applied for ill health retirement and was granted the enhanced pension meaning I would never be able to work in any job again (not just teaching).

At the time I was devastated but now I’m sure I did the right thing. It’s just over 2 years since my first referral and a year since I officially left school.

I really hope you are able to continue your career and that my story hasn’t disillusioned you. There are some diagnosed and working teachers who use the Forum so hopefully they’ll be along shortly to tell their positive stories.

Good Luck and let me know how you get on,

Sarah x

Thanks Sarah, much appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your situ. But there is so much you can offer the world of education apart from schlepping into a classroom every day of the week. I’m sure you’ve got loads to offer still, so hang in there.

Yep, guess I’ll just have to wait and see. I could ‘just’ still teach PE if I did not have to demonstrate much and should be ok doing humanities, but I do worry.

Let’s hope the other QTS users post soon. Thanks once again.

Pigeon.

Hello…I am a teacher and went for a new job a few months ago. I did not have to disclose my ms but felt very ‘guilty’ not telling them. I have had many conversations with my present Headteacher about this and she reassures me that this is quite normal as anyone can have anthing! I begin my new post in September and at some point will tell my new boss as I do think it is important to have the support if needed. Teaching is a very tiring job but as long as you manage your rest time and organise everything then it is very fulfilling - and that’s me after a long day in the classroom with 6&7 year olds and a staff meeting too!!

Debs x

just replied but can’t see it!!! It was very positive!!! :slight_smile: xx

grrr sent two replies now…From one teacher to another…go for it!

Hi Pigeon,

I was waiting to reply to this to see what others had to say. I am a teacher in a primary school part time and fully disclosed from the start and upfront with all my colleagues thinking it would serve me well in the future should I become worse and reasonable adjustments were required. I have worked there with no problems for 5 years so if you had asked me during that time I would say be upfront about your condition, manage your time well and enjoy your job. It was by and large a positive experience for me. However… I have had a relapse that has put me in a wheelchair, been off since January and my being up front about my MS has made no difference at all. There has been much hand wringing and poor you but no action to improve access so with the full support of my union I am about to go to tribunal and will consequently lose the job I love. So I would say disclose or don’t disclose, the choice is yours and enjoy your relative good health whilst you can. Sorry to have a negative story but for 5 years it was positive for me. I think it just depends on your head and governors as to how things go if your health deteriorates.

Hi Pigeon,

I’m a teaching assistant and have always worked part time since being diagnosed. When I applied for my current job I studied the wording on the application form very carefully. ‘Do you have a medical condition that may effect your ability to do your job?’

I said no, as very few sypmptoms. Had to tell school 5 years ago when my walking was effected - now park in disabled space if non free near the entrance. Can only work part time as walking effected. Another part time job advertised at same school which I would love - but wouldn’t be able to manage all the walking. Very frustrating.

Go for the job, don’t tell them and see how you get on. Join a union to back you up if you need it!!

good luck,

Jen

Hi there I haven’t applied for any jobs since Dx but I am always totally open with my school about my condition so they can support and plan around me. However I went to my school, trained there and was Dx whilst working at it I don’t know how open I’d be if I was moving schools…I’d like to think I would be… Kx

Hi I am a secondary teacher, been diagnosed RRMS for four years now, and am now moving schools. I did not declare at interview, as we don’t have to unless it’s currently impeding us, but have mentioned it on my health form they sent me for starting a new job. There’s a tick box amongst the others for ‘disease’ and I ticked that, elaborating further down the page. Don’t like thinking of MS as a ‘disease’ but that’s what the DMDs are for! This way I feel I’m covered in terms of disclosure for the future. Hope that’s helped. Xx

Hi I teach full time with RRMS but have invisible symptoms. Was thinking of applying for a new job recently and researched whether I needed to disclose. Outcome was not unless / until you want to. I think with more severe symptoms the job would sadly be impossible. I love it but do battle with fatigue constantly. Go for it! Ax

Hello i am am a primary sch teacher with ppms I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago. I told the head straight away. School was brilliant i did not have to do playground duty or pe lesson. Through access to work i got a helper for 15 hrs per week who did all my running around. Walking is very difficult but in all my classes thechildren have been brilliant and help alot. I was also maths coordinator. I suffered alot from fatigue but i still did my job and loved it. Its only now where ofsted is a pressure that the head has started to say they want someone with rigour and i feel they wont want me for long. They took maths of me and took me out of class. I teach groups. If the school becomes an academy im sure ill be out. Im too expensive. The future is not good for people with disabilities and above 40 years.