Anticardiolipin antibody blood test

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew any information about having anticardiolipin antibody blood tests ​done and what they’re looking for? I phoned up the doctors to get the results and got told that I had to make an appointment to see the GP to discuss the results further. What would the results show and how does it link to MS? Any ideas?! Thank you.

Anticardiolipin is also know as antiphospholipid and the blood test is done to to detect antibodies relating to a condition called Antiphospholipid syndrome. It’s also known as Hughes syndrome or sticky blood syndrome. It’s been mentioned on this site many times. Whilst i can’t explain the medical science behind it ( google will explain) I know it’s a condition that is capable of causing symptoms very similar to that of MS. (There is a daily mail article easily found online about a guy who was mistakenly diagnosed with MS only for it to come out much later that he didn’t have MS at all, but has sticky blood syndrome) My understanding of it is that it is not related to or linked to MS. It is another test carried out when a patient presents with neuo symptoms of unknown origin. Not sure of it’s carried out routinely at initial visit to GP (it was in my case) or whether for some people it’s a secondary consideration if other tests come back negative. What kind of symptoms have you been having? Whatever the result, hope an explanation from your GP helps.

Hello

Have a look at Antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) - NHS It seems that the test could also be a marker for SLE (aka Lupus). So it seems that your doctor is being very thorough and testing all the options that resemble MS.

In the past many people have been diagnosed with MS when in fact they have Hughes Syndrome as the above poster has pointed out.

It just shows how many other disorders there are which share symptoms with MS.

Good luck. Come back and let us know what the results show.

Sue