All Advice Very Welcome!

Hi Jackie

Thanks for getting in touch, you’re right about putting things off. That’s me for sure and I know I need to re-prioritise what I want to do while I still can. I am determined to stay positive and work through this condition so I can lead as full a life as possible. All the very best to you with your DX, take care of yourself. See you on here again.

x

Hi again CW,

I see Kev made the point about not being afraid to have a good cry if you feel the need, whilst you are coming to terms with your dx.

I do so agree with that but would also like to point out that I’m many ,many, years down the line and most of the time I’ve learnt to deal with all the rubbish that comes my way but there are days even now when I still have a good old cry at the injustice if it all…usually brought on by something that the rest of the world would think utterly trivial but it’s often the straw that breaks the camels back…keep your chin up! However, we are all here if you need us!

Nina x

1 Like

Thanks for that Nina. I’m not feeling too bad about things today - a quiet Sunday - but know there will be times when I’ll be a bit down. The worst I’ve been was back in July after the first MRI scan when I was told about a ‘major problem’ but I didn’t know what it was. That was a real shock and I shed a few tears then. Since then there have been other tests which led to the DX but I’ve been prepared to accept what was coming, even though it’s difficult to see in black and white.

I’ll stay positive but hear what you say about having a cry. There’s no shame in that and I will if I need to. Again, I’ll keep in touch and won’t be afraid to ask for support if it’s needed.

x

1 Like

Hi CW - welcome to the site. I am quite new myself, but like to read all the posts even tho I don’t comment much. They are a lovely group of people. I don’t think I can say anything extra to what has been said, but do accept all the help that is offered. Some people are so kind. I would not be able to continue aquafit if the ladies in the class did not help me back to the changing room, and then the car. I was so independent and find it difficult to accept help, but other people want to help when they can.

good luck and I hope you stay as well as possible.

Jackie x

1 Like

Hi CW - welcome to the site. I am quite new myself, but like to read all the posts even tho I don’t comment much. They are a lovely group of people. I don’t think I can say anything extra to what has been said, but do accept all the help that is offered. Some people are so kind. I would not be able to continue aquafit if the ladies in the class did not help me back to the changing room, and then the car. I was so independent and find it difficult to accept help, but other people want to help when they can.

good luck and I hope you stay as well as possible.

Jackie x

1 Like

Watch out!

I’ve got 3 different sticks now, a pair of crutches and (inherited from my grandad) a 3 wheel rollator for around the house x

Hi Jackie

Nice to meet you, thanks for the welcome. You’re right, the guys on here are a good bunch and I’ve had loads of great advice this weekend. I told work about my DX last week - not everyone knows yet, just HR and a carefully chosen few - and after the initial shock subsided everyone has been really supportive. I think most people will genuinely want to help and I’m going to have to learn to be open minded about accepting. Like you, I’ve always been fiercely independent and done my own thing. That will have to change so that I’m prepared to take the help that’s offered. I’m glad you’re getting help at aquafit so you can carry on with this activity.

Take care of yourself and see you on here again.

x

1 Like

Hi CW I’m Secondary Progressive but I like it here everyone is so nice and friendly, I have amassed a lot of knowledge just reading the various threads and it’s somehow reassuring to know I’m not on my own. You would think it would be scary to learn of the things I might have to face but I’m also learning how to overcome the obstacles I face now and those I may face in the future.

So may I also welcome you to the Forum(s) and wish you loads of luck.

Jan x

Hi Crossed Wires and welcome.

I’m kind of a hybrid of you and Sonia in terms of age/gender/time of dx/main symptoms etc.

I used to be very sporty and have not been able to run since 2008, but the penny only dropped in 2012 that this might be more than generic back pain or some disc problem, after numerous physio, osteopath, orthopaedic opinions etc.

Don’t want to repeat what’s already been said, apart from two things;

1. Weights. If you have access to a gym, then use it and do them! Seriously, with my left side being so impaired if it wasn’t for my weights/resistance sessions at the gym I would be a whole lot worse. If not a member of gym, then find one! (Cardio workouts are fine if you can manage, particularly cross-trainers and static bikes that don’t require any balance, but you need ‘strength’ first and foremost. Never do one without the other).

2. Hobby. Find a new one. A post-MS dx hobby that does not make too many physical demands. Try exploring and expanding your intellect; so long as you have a kindle or e-reader (turning pages with PPMS is often hard, tis for me anyhow) and the ability to join/contribute to forums then learn to enjoy the life of the mind and thinking rather than actually physically ‘doing’ stuff…if this makes sense? (I’ve always maintained that bookish individuals will find MS easier to deal with than non-bookish folk; so if you’re not bookish, then try and become so)

Take care, all the best, and please do pop along to vent, rant, ask for advice, bellow, holler, or whatever helps you out on a day to day basis.

CP.

Hi Jan

Many thanks for the welcome, it’s nice to meet you. You’re certainly right that the people on here are a friendly bunch and I’ve received plenty of good advice over the weekend. It’s very early days for me in terms of accepting my DX and understanding the changes I’ll need to make. But I’ve always been a positive kind of guy and will do whatever I can, with support, to carry on as best as I can. All the very best to you.

x

Morning CP

I’m having a quiet start to the day and just wanted to reply to you. It sounds like there are some similarities between us - I noticed a couple of years ago (aged 43/44) that my legs weren’t as strong as they were. I can’t say that I was as sporty as you but I was involved in kids football coaching with my sons and was fairly active with this. I’m also a gym member and would get down there at least weekly. Then things changed and I realised I couldn’t run - in fact walking became more difficult, until earlier this year I couldn’t even go short distances. I never imagined at that stage that I’d have something like MS and even in early July my GP thought I’d just pulled a muscle.

I went to the gym two weeks ago for a quick session - my first for a few months - and it was difficult. I don’t have the strength I did and working on the X trainer was dreadful. I know you’re right and I need to get into the weights again otherwise I’ll be even worse. I’ll have to think about hobbies as no real ideas spring to mind.

Thanks for making the points you have and see you on here again. All the best to you.

Cheers

CW

Hi, while I fully support CP’s use of the gym and weights, and would never discourage anyone from giving it a go, I just want to say that for some of us it’s impossible.

My fatigue is so bad that most days I don’t even get dressed (that in itself completely does me in) and if I went to a gym I’d have to turn around and come straight home without even doing any exercise… the journey would do me in.

I just wanted to say this because those of us who can’t exercise, and I know there’s a few of us on here, feel very guilty when we’re always being told that ‘exercise is good for MS’.

Please don’t take this the wrong way… I’m full of admiration for you CP… I just don’t want others feeling (as I often do) that I’m not trying hard enough.

Pat xx

1 Like

Hi CW

Welcome to the forum,

I’ve only been on here a few months, was dx with SPMS 6 years ago but it was only last year that I needed extra help as I couldn’t cope with what life had become. I have found everyone on here so friendly and helpful. With all the help from these lovely people I am now back on an even keel.

I too am trying to keep on working for as long as possible but it can get very tiring. My big problem is asking for help but I am getting better at it.

It is nice to know you are not alone with this crap and remember you can come on here and discuss anything. I mean anything!!

mags xx